Are Bio Bricks bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Money pit

Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Connecticut
I have been considering supplimenting my wood burning insert with an occasional bio brick. I have heard however that they burn hot enough to possible damage stoves. What do all of you think about bio bricks?

I love the biobricks but don't mix them with wood and you have to have good air control. All I burn is Biobricks. Been burning them all season. Once I get it started with my air open I close off the air and the dampner and let it go. My buddy has an older stove with no dampner and he almost burned down his house. Vent pipe was red all the way to the cieling. his room was 110 deg.

I have heard they warp the firebox. But so far so good here. I am on my 3rd skid.

Shawn

BioBricks are not bad for stoves, but not following directions is bad for stoves. Yes, you can overfire a stove with them. You can also overfire a stove with most other wood products at 8% moisture. But if you follow the instructions, they are a safe and good product.

I have 7 cords of wood put away for the next year and a half. but still buy those little suckers for a nice burn and depenable burn. I love them for supplemental heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.