Are chimney sweeps antiquated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylg

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2010
Long Island
We are building a new house, and we were discussing the design of a masonry chimney with the mason who is doing the work. We decided to go with a closed, for lack of a better term, "masonry chimney cap" and he mentioned that he would morter in a mesh to prevent animals from entering. After asking him how we were going to clean the chimney, he sort of chuckled and mentioned that cleaning the chimney isn't necessary with modern chimney designs. I believe he was referring to the flu spacing that brings the chimney further away from the house. Furthermore he mentioned that we should occasionally burn some pine to burn off any of the creosote.
Is there any truth to this?

Ok, sorry. That wasn't very helpful. Any chimney which is used frequently will require cleaning eventually, even if fires are burned hot and clean. That said, a lot of cleaning, especially on fireplaces can be done pretty well from the bottom. Still, I would hesitate to permanently set a stone top in place with no access.

Maybe I should re-phrase that I would not hire that mason to do that design.

However, if I were building a new house I'd insist that the chimney be disigned into the middle of the house, but I'm crazy that way.

Creature said:
Maybe I should re-phrase that I would not hire that mason to do that design.

However, if I were building a new house I'd insist that the chimney be disigned into the middle of the house, but I'm crazy that way.

I actually think his point was, even if there's a chimney fire, it doesn't matter because the chimney is isolated from the house.

I'd also insist that it have a SS liner. Even if you go masonry for appearance, I'd have a SS liner for protection and longevity (won't find a lifetime warrantee on tile liner)

I would hope to god there is some miscommunication that happened there, otherwise I agree that his comments are among the stupidest I've ever heard.

pen

I think my Pepere used to have that kind of mentality- and even he cleaned his chimney every year! Perhaps a one off fire might be protected from the house, but eventually there will be damage that could lead to issues.
On another note, am I the only person who does not have a chimney cap?

darrylg said:
I actually think his point was, even if there's a chimney fire, it doesn't matter because the chimney is isolated from the house.

Fair enough, although I don't understand how the chimney would be isolated from the house without being detached from the house. In my opinion a chimney is part of the house no matter how much you try to isolate it. Then again, what do I konw, I'm a computer guy.

Creature said:
darrylg said:

Fair enough, although I don't understand how the chimney would be isolated from the house without being detached from the house. In my opinion a chimney is part of the house no matter how much you try to isolate it. Then again, what do I konw, I'm a computer guy.

That makes me wonder... should I be cleaing my keyboard... and how often?

To answer your question, there is no truth whatsoever in that. Chimneys are swept to prevent chimney fires. Even if the chimney is somehow designed to not burn the house down in a chimney fire, a ceramic tile lined chimney is perfectly capable of destroying itself in a chimney fire. I know of no testing or temperature standards for ceramic flue tiles. I do know of at least one example, posted by a trusted industry veteran here years ago, of a masonry chimney literally blowing apart during a violent chimney fire.

Build it in accordance with current building codes and with a removable cap so that it can be cleaned regularly.

Tell him some wacko old wood burner on the Internet said so. :smirk:

cmonSTART said:
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'd have to agree with this one. If you permanently seal a chimney, it can not receive 'maintenance'.

Every chimney that is 'used' needs maintenace/ cleaning. Wheather is is a heater chimney, fireplace or solid fuel (wood stove/ pellet stove/ something else) chimney. I am sure there are some others I am not fluent with and have not mentioned here.

Find another mason to consult, maybe several.

Fire the mason ASAP!

Get a REAL chimney tech there NOW!

"A chimney fire" is NEVER good, I don't care if it's a 6" flue going up a 36" chimney; somethings gona give. Just like freezing water; hot air WILL expand.
Once; O.K., maybe no problems; Twice; yeah O.K. the first didn't do anything, right? Now look at the clay liner - all cracked Where do you think the third + fire will go to?! Is the chimney 36" + from ANY wood? I didn't think so!

PJ

PS - PINE DOES NOT CAUSE CHIMNEY FIRES! Burning unseasoned wood does!

PJF1313 said:
Fire the mason ASAP!

Get a REAL chimney tech there NOW!

"A chimney fire" is NEVER good, I don't care if it's a 6" flue going up a 36" chimney; somethings gona give. Just like freezing water; hot air WILL expand.
Once; O.K., maybe no problems; Twice; yeah O.K. the first didn't do anything, right? Now look at the clay liner - all cracked Where do you think the third + fire will go to?! Is the chimney 36" + from ANY wood? I didn't think so!

PJ

PS - PINE DOES NOT CAUSE CHIMNEY FIRES! Burning unseasoned wood does!
I agree. Regarding the pine comment, he recommended burning pine because it burns hot enough to "clean" off the creosote.

Also, hello fellow islander!

-PB- said:
That makes me wonder... should I be cleaing my keyboard... and how often?

If cleaning means turning it upside down every few months and shaking it, I do that every few to six months :) You should see the stuff that comes out. If it's really dirty, I'll bash it on the ground a few times.

Just had to comment on the pepere thing. Been a long time since I have heard that outside of where I grew up (northern Maine).

Remkel said:
I think my Pepere used to have that kind of mentality- and even he cleaned his chimney every year! Perhaps a one off fire might be protected from the house, but eventually there will be damage that could lead to issues.

The mason is wrong on many points . . . modern chimneys don't need to be swept: WRONG . . . pine can be used to burn off the creosote: WRONG -- it's still better to physically sweep the chimney.

NATE379 said:
Just had to comment on the pepere thing. Been a long time since I have heard that outside of where I grew up (northern Maine).

Remkel said:

Pepere is a French thing. I had two at one time, now down to just one memere. : (

Warm in RI said:
NATE379 said:

Remkel said:

Pepere is a French thing. I had two at one time, now down to just one memere. : (

Another RI cannuck! Just remember "Next time you go true my yard, you go round". Or the more famous "We park da car side by each"

Miss good ole French Canadian Woonsocket.

I think you have to ask yourself one thing: do you feel lucky? Because luck is what you'll need with a mason having that mentality. Your house is only second in importance to the living beings in your life - take care of it. Do it right the first time. Keep you, your family and your investment - your new home - safe.

No Chimney sweeps are not outdated or I would be looking for work! That Mason obviously doesn't have a clue or is just looking to cut corners. Do you trust someone like that? I would look elsewhere for better options. I would also suggest (like a previous poster mentioned) using a Steel liner right from the begining. Putting in clay tiles would be like throwing up latte and plaster on a brand new house instead of drywall. Technologies have changed but alot of masons are not aware of it and only now what they learned and was probably taught to them by an "old timer" in their trade. You can still keep a true masonary look and use a steel liner.

Remkel said:
Warm in RI said:
NATE379 said:

Remkel said:

Another RI cannuck! Just remember "Next time you go true my yard, you go round". Or the more famous "We park da car side by each"

Miss good ole French Canadian Woonsocket.

You forgot "throw me down the stairs my hat" LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.