Are sq/ft ratings for ZC high efficiency fireplaces accounting for use of a blower or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PDutro

Sep 26, 2021
Oregon
Most of them have a range listed (800-1500 sq/ft). Is this measured based on natural convection or with the added force of the blower?

I imagine the blower would speed up the heat circulating through the room but not necessarily increase the amount of space the stove can warm. Then again, I’m not a thermodynamicist.

There is such a wide spread because there are so many variables. The blower really helps with heat distribution which could mean more even temperature over a larger area. That doesn't show up in marketing numbers of sq ftg heated.

Reactions: PDutro
There is such a wide spread because there are so many variables. The blower really helps with heat distribution which could mean more even temperature over a larger area. That doesn't show up in marketing numbers of sq ftg heated.
Cool, thanks for this. I was able to speak to a rep for RSF and he said the fireplace is capable of heating that amount of space with or without the blower, the blower indeed just pushes the heated air farther away from the unit. So yeah, probably better for evening out temps but not increasing sq/ft coverage.

Cool, thanks for this. I was able to speak to a rep for RSF and he said the fireplace is capable of heating that amount of space with or without the blower, the blower indeed just pushes the heated air farther away from the unit. So yeah, probably better for evening out temps but not increasing sq/ft coverage.
The blower will increase coverage with some floorplans. When it gets below freezing I can measure the temp difference at the far ends of our open floorplan home with the blower on vs off. The blower helps pull cooler air toward the stove to be warmed up and sent out to replace the cooler air.

In this circumstance a gravity vent to the room (or hallway?) behind the fireplace might be beneficial in getting heat to that area, unless your preference is to keep that room cooler. Another option might be to have the intake for the blower pulling air from a cooler part of the house. That too will pull warm air throughout that area to replace the cooler air that is being pulled into the blower.

Reactions: PDutro