1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Are stihl chainsaws getting fat

Post in 'The Gear' started by webie, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Have you all noticed that the new model stihls are gaining like about a half a pound over the previous models they are replacing . Does anyone no why the weight gain ? Are these new saws improvements worth it over there old ancestors ? I know my 361 is light years ahead over my 360 just in antivibration and saw balance .

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thinkxingu

thinkxingu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH
    Webie,
    From what I've heard, the new 'strato' saw designs have more parts to make EPA regulations--while they can provide a bit more power, they also add more weight.

S
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    got to take a step back before you can move forward.

2-MS180’s ,024 ,026 ,MS260PRO,MS360,MS361, MS460 with that line up you will be able to weather the storm quite nice
  4. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    heck they will out last me
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    yes sir you should have grand kids bragging about your saws!
  6. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Besides when I seen it comeing I ditched the 440 and grabbed a 460 , Just cant beat that power to weight ratio on that saw.
    Now I am wondering if I should be looking at that sweet little MS200 , I could drop my bottom 3 saws for that guy . No not really I cant part with my 024 It was my first Stihl , little bugger is over 25 years of age .
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I know I am 200t for me is a must have this year kinda saw........
  8. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    If you go that route , do a 16 inch bar and stihl make a low pro 3/8 non safety chain , agressive round tooth chain , cuts like crazy on the 180's . My old man has had one of my 180's for about 5 year now . Retired he loves it cutting half the wood for the rest of the family , I didnt think you could put 5 gallons of gas in a 180 in a year ???
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I had a brand new 180 didnt like it you have to wait on power also dont like the 260....I am shooting for the 200t and most likely roll with a 13 in. bar...All my chains a full chiesl round ground and hand shape rakers.
  10. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Actually I think my 026 has more power than the MS260 pro , but then I hardly ever use the pro my girlfreind uses that. I kinda like the 180's remind me of a string trimmer every time I start one .
    I see you cant get just the MS260 just the pro model so I am thinking this saw is close to the chopping block . 026 , 260 is one old saw , I know its got to be at least 25 years old .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.