Are stove prices negotiable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gwf96001

Jun 14, 2008
Connecticut
I'm going back and forth on whether to buy a new or used wood stove. Cost is a major factor for me and I wanted to know if there is any negotiating when buying a stove new (like buying a car) or is it this is the price take it or leave it. I read an article in my local paper today saying stove/insert sales are way up, I would think this would make dealers less likely to negotiate.

Some dealers will negotiate with you, others will not. If you are looking for them to install it, compare the total cost with different dealers.

You can also ask a dealer about last years models or even if they have trade-ins available.

It really depends on your personality.

For some folks everything is negotiable.

Also, it never hurts to ask.

May be a little harder this year to get a good deal since the stove buying season is basically upon us. The best time to buy is after the new year. That is when you find most markdowns and sales.

Good luck.

J.P.

As a dealer for 20 years - we were negotiable, especially if you asked about floor models, models brought to fairs, etc.

Some dealers are not - and actually take offense...an attitude that I think is crazy.

Still other dealers discount from the start, so little or no negotiation is needed. You are in CT, so if you are near the eastern part you might want to check out Preston Trading Post - one of the largest dealers in the US and selling stoves for over 35 years.

If you are DIY and don't need installation and support, you can scour the net for decent deals.

Craigslist and ebay often have stuff also. If cost is a big factor, you do have options.

gwf96001 said:
Thanks for the replies. My search continues. Do prices rise in the fall as the heating season begins?

They sure do in some shops. Also depends on the stove. Some manufacturers have control on the price. Stoves will go on sale from time to time usually around spring.

If you want new and can wait, you can pick up some excellent deals around late Jan.-Feb. as most want to dump their inventories by then. I don't think you're going to find many deals this time of year through November, especially since fuel cost have really increased demand for alternative heat sources... although it doesn't hurt to ask. Otherwise, Craigslist can be a great place for buying used.

I have stopped in a few shops in the past few weeks just looking around and the folks all talked about how the pellet stoves were flying out the door - and the wood stoves were selling but not at the pace of the pellet for sure. Seemed to me that the guys were all pushing the stoves that were in stock, as is the norm. For stoves in stock, I would always try and negotiate a deal. As mentioned, ask about the floor models and any used stoves they might get in. Leave your name and number to let them know you are serious - but are looking for a better deal.

Granted i purchased mine at home depot but i did get them to cut a little bit.

I hate paying retail as well but if you look at it rationally, is saving a hundred bucks worth not having the stove until February or March? In Wiscosnin that is paying the gas/oil/propain guy for another 5 or 6 months. If you scrounged your wood then it would be hardly worth it. By me it is not uncommon to have a 250 gas bill for heat and water/dryer etc. This year it will be higher and they say 1/3 to 1/2 more is not out of the question so it really is a gotcha moment. If you have no wood supply then I would start scrounging for next year and go for the deal. JMHO but I am a cheap skate :) If I had to pay for wood I would probably only burn occasionally. Good luck!!!

The best time I seen to get a stove with a little wiggle room for price is towards the end of the heating season and before the yearly price increase. Which for me was the March - April timeframe. Do your research and look around at different dealers and find different prices. Also what helps with the price of the stove if you also get it installed by the same dealer you buy the stove from.

Status
Not open for further replies.