Are these anti-corrosion chemicals any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerefanatic

Minister of Fire
Apr 6, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
I'm looking at using this product in my system (since it is an open system) to prevent corrosion.. I'm planning on doing the parrafin wax floating deal in my expansion tanks, but I don't think wax will function as an O2 barrier.....

Anyone had experience with these people? Looks like a good product.... I'm estimating my system at around 1400 gallons, so 7 quarts is in order....

I don't see a reference to any product in your post. I believe anti-corrosion chemical in a water boiler system probably is essential if the system has much water volume, as with storage, or if an open system. Principal concerns are pH, total alkalinity, and O2 scavenger. Acidic water (pH less than 7) can cause lots of corrosion.

O2 scavenger (sodium sulfite and other chemicals): follow directions provided by boiler chemical supplier.

Total alkalinity: 200-700 ppm based on what I've read; buffers acid changes. Various chemicals used here.

pH: this also relates to total alkalinity; pH of 8-9 probably OK. I used sodium hydroxide (lye, caustic soda). This is dangerous to work with, follow directions carefully.

I used a swimming pool test kit to test total alkalinity and pH. Made a guess based on supplier recommendations for O2 scavenger. My system is closed, so if pH is OK, the rest should work out without problem.

I think you have to take the comments you cite with a bit of skepticism. Keep in mind that steam boilers require frequent addition of water, blow downs, and other maintenance because of the frequent addition of water. Each time water is added, the chemistry changes and conditioning of the water must occur.

A home, non-steam boiler, especially if a pressurized system, is completely different. Once it's filled, water is added rarely and then only in very small quantities. Hence, the sodium sulfite does its work once and stays in solution to handle future water additions. The sulfate does not accumulate. Essentially, it's a one-time treatment. With an open system not quite the same, but still much different than a steam boiler. I operated an OWB for 10 years, adding sodium sulfite periodically, and there was no evidence of any accumulated sulfate deposits anywhere.

Note the comment on summer start-up and high oxygen content of the boiler water. Where is that oxygen coming from? In a closed system, there is no addition of oxygen. In an open system, possibly, and someone else will have to address that, and the answer probably depends in part on the system design.

I think the comments in the cite are more than a bit hyperbole, as related to home hot water boilers, and also designed to market the products which this site is trying to sell.

deerefanatic said:
I'm looking at using this product in my system (since it is an open system) to prevent corrosion.. I'm planning on doing the parrafin wax floating deal in my expansion tanks, but I don't think wax will function as an O2 barrier.....

Anyone had experience with these people? Looks like a good product.... I'm estimating my system at around 1400 gallons, so 7 quarts is in order....

Expansion tank on an open system? Where else is it open?

I don't think the paraffin is going to work very well in a cold expansion tank...

Chris

Yes, the system is open.... The expansion tanks are open to atmosphere, no tops. (Old hot water heaters...)

I doubt these babies are gonna be "cold"........ Hot fluids rise, and these tanks are going to be at the top of the system...... So I have no doubts about their ability to melt the wax.........

Thanks for the feedback..... I'm still leaning toward these people for one simple reason.... Dave, at Cozy Heat has good things to say about it and I really trust the guy.... Even if the company has overboard advertising, it doesn't change whether their product is any good or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.