Are these hydraulic line cracks a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
So I don't know much about hydraulic lines. I noticed this line on my log splitter has some cracks in the rubber but I don't know how the lines are constructed. Are these of concern? I assume there is an inner line containing the pressure, otherwise these would already be leaking and they are not.

IMG-0051.jpg

IMG-0050.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FTG-05
Pretty common to get those cracks. Lots of life left in them I would guess. Yes ,inner lining, if you start seeing the "cords" your getting close to replacement.

Reactions: wahoowad
There’s a lot of steel wire under those cracks then another rubber

I have replaced horrible looking cracked hoses on my backhoe to have perfectly fine looking hoses burst. They normally swell in an area where the braid has deteriorated under the outer cover. The outside is for sunlight resistance and chafing. There is an inner hose, then fabric or wire braid to prevent expansion, and contain pressure on high pressure hoses, then the outer cover. You’re not looking at what holds the pressure.

Reactions: wahoowad
Just replaced the hoses on my splitter after 30 years of the splitter sitting outside and my hoses looked way worse than yours but still didn't leak. I wouldn't worry about them.

Reactions: FTG-05
As others have said, the outer 'pretty' shell of the hose is starting to crack, but the interior 'structural' parts are still sound. Looks like UV light and/or ozone damage. Keeping the hose out of the sun would help with the UV, but you'd have to keep it out of the air to help any with ozone, so likely not much could be done there.

The only other thing which might help with longevity is if there is an option to route the hose where it is not bent in in such a tight radius. If it has any slack, that would help ease the bend, or obviously coming out of the (pump? tank?) with a 90 degree fitting to get the hose pointed in the ideal direction.

Those little cracks next to each other are an indication of the bend radius is too tight and under impulse repeating pressure cycles the outer cover is cracked. I wouldn’t worry about the outer cover, but it also means it’s impulsing the wire braid on the inside and it’s not sharing the pressure forces like it supposed to. I would either get a longer hose, or put a 45° elbow there and relieve some of that bending stress on the hose

Those little cracks next to each other are an indication of the bend radius is too tight and under impulse repeating pressure cycles the outer cover is cracked. I wouldn’t worry about the outer cover, but it also means it’s impulsing the wire braid on the inside and it’s not sharing the pressure forces like it supposed to. I would either get a longer hose, or put a 45° elbow there and relieve some of that bending stress on the hose
Agree ^ ^ ^ I'd add a 45* elbow there....it will help that hose (and/or its replacement) last longer.