Are we making a big mistake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackcat said:
In the past 2 years, we've had wood delivered as we were new to the area. This year, I finally got the jist of the stove and keeping it going for weeks on end. We finished up the last of last years wood-which kept the whole house nice and comfortable. This past fall, my neighbor had a splitter to use for a week. My husband split about a cord of wood that was cut into large pieces from when we had the septic redone 2 years prior. Its been stacked under an overhang next to the garage. He thinks its been "seasoned" enough for burning, figuring it has sat there for about 2 years but not split. Since I am home most of the time and a great fire starter (no offense to him, but he forgets to even open the flue before starting a fire), I can feel the difference in how this wood burns and heats. It doesn't get as warm in here and I have to constantly "play" with the fire to keep it going. I just cleaned out the stove from the last burn, since it was so frustrating to keep it going, I let it go out. It seems pretty crusty in there. I can barely get it off the walls and windows. We usually have white smoke coming out of chimney when I've filled it and closed the air intake in the back a bit, especially if going out for a while. With this wood, if I open the air intake, it starts to fire up and black smoke comes out of the chimney.
I really need "expert" opinions on this, wood isn't ready to burn, as my reason to order some wood- if we can get it. I am terrified of a chimney fire now. We had the chimney cleaned at the beginning of season and the guy, who is a fireman also, said the liner was in really good shape. Our stove is probably going to need to be replaced in the next year or so. Its a '70's Vermont Castings Parlor Stove. I really love this stove and even more now that I know how to truly use it.
Help!
Thanks everyone!
Jams:)

Welcome to the forum Blackcat!

I may not be an expert but have several year of wood burning experience so if I may, I'll pass on some thoughts to you. Firstly, buying firewood can be a bit frustrating and if you must buy, do plan on having it split and stacked out in the wind for at least a year. Finding any decent firewood for sale any time is difficult and finding some now is practically impossible.

That wood which was cut into rounds and stacked under an overhang next to the garage has 2 strikes against it. First, as stated, wood needs wind (air circulation) in order to dry. It also needs to be split as any drying of the wood is very minimal until you get the stuff split. You, of course, are seeing the poor results right now. So you need to take this as part of the learning experience so you don't make this mistake in the future.

I have always recommended that folks have a 2-3 year wood supply on hand at all times. If everyone did this there would be very few problems with poorly burning wood and also those creosote problems. I addition, you won't get black glass either. So I do highly suggest you try the little tricks to get through this burning season but also get next year's wood on hand as quickly as you can.

We do all of our wood cutting in the winter months. Splitting comes in late March or early April and it is stacked immediately. The wood is not covered until late the next fall or early winter and then it gets covered on the top of the stack only. We stack the wood on some poles in order to get the wood up off the ground and also allow air circulation under the stacks. We usually try to let our wood season 3 years if at all possible and many times go double this. The benefits of doing it this way is amazing!

Another thing which concerns me is your statement that, "I just cleaned out the stove from the last burn..." I hope you do not think you have to clean the stove after every burn! It does not require this.

Good luck.

That stove can run fine with maybe just a rebuild. You won't get 12 hour burns, but those are great old stoves and worth the work to rebuild.

Another thought is to buy some of the compressed wood products like Bio Bricks (also sold as Geo or Eco Bricks, Envi Blocks, Wood Brick Fuel and the like). These are already seasoned and made from compressed wood scraps and sawdust (usually hardwood). They are great to mix with less than well-seasoned wood. I bought a ton of them last summer and put them in the garage. Since I made the mistake of burning the wood closest to the house first and my woodpile is now buried in snow, that's pretty much all I'm burning right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.