Argh! So my landlady who lives in Europe has asked me to look into exchanging our wood stove for a p

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonguy

Aug 10, 2010
Boston, MA
I have NO IDEA who to contact, what the process would be and what to expect. Is there any kind of guide or checklist that any of you may know of that can help me to help her? Who installs this? Do they need any special certification? Can this stove be vented to more rooms?

Any help you can provide would be most useful.

We are in the Jamaica Plain section of Boston, MA.

Thanks so much!

Wow. Looks like she just dumped this in your lap.

Best advice I can give would be to start by visiting a couple local stove shops, talk to the people there, and get an idea of what's out there. Chances are the local shop will also handle the install. Hopefully they will carry some sort of certification, NFI, CSIA or whatever.

Next thing you can do is hang around hearth.com and do some reading and ask questions when necessary.

Welcome!!

Welcome.

So are you currently using the woodstove? Why does she want you to switch? What is the layout of the house like?

I'm sure there are dealers in your area that can help you. Maybe try a google search or the yellow pages. There is also another part of this forum dedicated to pellet burners.

Contact Commonwealth Fireplace & Grill Shop in Norwood and have them quote the installation of a nice Harman pellet stove and piping. That should shock her out of the idea.

http://www.commonwealthfireplace.com/

i speak with landlords all the time, they consistantly feel: (even if bs, some point have some merit...)

tenants are too irresponsible to handle burning wood safely,
that a
that wood stoves are dangerous,
that thier homeowners insurance wont cover woodstove,
that no-one wants to rent a home with a wood stove,
that it makes thier rental dirty,
etc,
etc,
etc

Wood Heat Stoves said:
i speak with landlords all the time, they consistantly feel: (even if bs, some point have some merit...)

tenants are too irresponsible to handle burning wood safely,
that a
that wood stoves are dangerous,
that thier homeowners insurance wont cover woodstove,
that no-one wants to rent a home with a wood stove,
that it makes thier rental dirty,
etc,
etc,
etc

+1 to that!

Dave makes a good point. As a landlord, you gotta look out for #1. A tenant does not always care about your property, and may take a lackluster approach to proper use/care of a woodstove. A pellet stove can burn down your house (any stove can, for that matter) as well, but the chances are greatly reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.