Armor Flex Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Dropped the new Armor Flex liner into the chimney this weekend. Very impressed with how beefy this liner feels. I ran into a little problem with the top termination.

I have a terra cotta tile that sticks up on top of the chimney one inch. I installed the top plate and tried to tighten the support clamp to secure the liner but the top plate metal is too strong to tighten against the liner.

I think I can remedy this by adding a couple of small angle irons that rest between the top plate and support clamp. This will keep the clamp a little higher and be able to clamp/support the liner.

Do you guys have any other work around ideas?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
the clamp goes directly around the liner and sits on top of the top plate.

Yep, you're doing it wrong. That clamp goes directly on the liner and prevent the liner from slipping past the top plate. I was not impressed with this setup plus my top plate sagged so I doubled up on it.

Yep, you're doing it wrong. That clamp goes directly on the liner and prevent the liner from slipping past the top plate. I was not impressed with this setup plus my top plate sagged so I doubled up on it.
Who's top plate I have never had an olympia one do that.

Thanks guys, that makes way more sense. Sometimes I'm amazed at the end of a long day how you miss the obvious answer.

Mine was Olympia, 13x18 inch and I was not impressed....keep in mind I needed to cut mine down so I weakened it by doing so. Had I not modified I am sure it would have been sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.