As per Mr. J-Takeman's request!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Sure show us more food again! Off to raid the fridge and there goes the diet!

Chicken Cordon-Bleu wrapped in bacon (stuffed with Boar's Head ham and Canadian cheddar). :)
Hope you have a good cardiologist. :)

Ejectr said:
Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Sure show us more food again! Off to raid the fridge and there goes the diet!

Chicken Cordon-Bleu wrapped in bacon (stuffed with Boar's Head ham and Canadian cheddar). :)
Hope you have a good cardiologist. :)
:lol:

j-takeman said:
ScotL said:
We don't make food grade pellets. But, all I use in my pellet grill is our pellets because I know there's no additives at all (the most common are vegetable oil, soybean oil, diesel fuel, or plastic resin). If I didn't know exactly what was in the pellets I was using, I'd be very nervous about using anything but a pellet made specifically for grills.
One of our suppliers sends us hickory sawdust. I've always wanted to save some out and make just a few hundred pounds of pure hickory pellets to use in the grill.

Sounds like you should set that stuff aside. I see the hickory pellets are about $1.00 a pound retail Where stove pellets are $0.40 to $0.60 a pound retail. Might be some ca$h to be had?

I have always been interested in the thoery of different wood species creating different heat/BTU values. I know with compression its less likely than say cord wood. But I bet some species like Oak and Black locus have a higher BTU value compared to say maple or birch.

Also ScotL are you using chip to logs or just saw dust/chops? Curious if you could single out some species just to play around with. But probably not practicle with a large scale facillity. But its winter and I'm slightly bored. Fun thinking about the what if's. ;-)

We buy sawdust and chips from sawmills and supplement the rest with pulpwood that's chipped then screened to remove bark and heartwood. The hickory comes in as a very fine sawdust from a drumstick factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.