VistaFlame VF55 Igniter Burnout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ebarrieau

Oct 12, 2019
Massachusetts
I have a VistaFlame VF55 which I bought used and have been using for two seasons now. I went through and replaced all the gaskets and thoroughly cleaned the stove when I hooked it up and a set it up with a magnehelic gauge per the manufacturer instructions and it burns great.

My favorite feature about this stove is hooking it up with a room thermostat and having it turn on and off to maintain room temp (not just high/low, but fully off). In the two years that I've had this stove the igniter has burned out three times, and I end up having to manually light it.

The air pump for the igniter moves air as it should (as far as I can tell) and it does shut off after the startup sequence. Can anyone think why this would be burning out so regularly? It's a custom igniter with a glass lined steel tube, I'm thinking about just replacing it with a standard cartridge heater of similar wattage and retrofitting it in to the igniter tube unless someone has a better idea.

Here is a link to the replacement igniter assembly I have replaced three times now: https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...0-watt-ignitor-for-m55-and-vistaflame-50-2142

In the time that this igniter has been installed how many times do you think
it has had to ignite pellets?
May give you an idea why it has burnt out.
My igniter is the original (22 years) My stove stays on 24/7 only off for
cleaning from October to the middle of April

In the time that this igniter has been installed how many times do you think
it has had to ignite pellets?
May give you an idea why it has burnt out.
My igniter is the original (22 years) My stove stays on 24/7 only off for
cleaning from October to the middle of April
Probably a few times a day in the shoulder season and just for cleaning once the winter sets in. I'd venture to guess roughly 150-200 cycles between failures.

I would bet that my stove uses the igniter maybe 20 times a season
So if you go 200 times that would be 10 years on my stove
There have been many that complain that their igniters burn out often
when using ON/OFF but they also complain about pellet usage in the HI/LOW
so I guess it is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other as to the way you go
try the other ignitor just to see if it lasts longer