ash buildup - is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman460

Hearth Supporter
Apr 30, 2008
SE Nebraska
Here's a pic of the ash buildup around the burn pot of my Big E after roughly 12 hours of burning. These pellets are Homewood brand "premium wood pellets'. I'm experimenting with pellets, this is my first stove so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm trying bags here and there before I go out and buy a ton or 3. I've run a few bags of Pennington's through the stove, and the ash buildup didn't seem quite this excessive, and it was a finer, less coarse ash. I've got a good, upright flame, without black tips, so I think it's burning pretty clean.

I have not checked the vent for ash buildup yet, nor the doors in the back of the burn chamber. I've got roughly 60 hours of burn time on it, and the ash pan is no where near full, so I assume that's a good sign :).

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

Attachments

• ash_buildup.JPG
    ash_buildup.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 487
I had great luck with Homewoods. I would love to get my hands on some more. They burned clean, the ash left the burn pot, and the heat was good. I cant find anymore though.

OH yeah, I have no problem with ash build up IN the burn pot. I'm just wondering if this buildup shown is "normal". The burnpot is staying relatively clean.

Looks about right... a soft wood may give you a little less ash.

Most guys would clean this stove each day but I usually only give mine a light cleaning once per week. The versa-grate in my St. Croix keeps the burn pot pretty clean so you don't have to clean it as often unless you get a lot of clinkers.

I also have a Big-E i use New England Wood Pellet brand i have about the same amount of ash after a day or two. Just recently i've noticed the burn pot has a little more build up in it.

So far I've gotten no clinkers (knock on wood -haha). I turn it off during the day, and run it over night. I know, paranoia on my part. I scrape around the burn pot and the inside of the burn pot out every evening before lighting, and it seems to be working quite well.

Thanks for the replies. Any tips let me know.

sandman460 said:
Here's a pic of the ash buildup around the burn pot of my Big E after roughly 12 hours of burning. These pellets are Homewood brand "premium wood pellets'. I'm experimenting with pellets, this is my first stove so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm trying bags here and there before I go out and buy a ton or 3. I've run a few bags of Pennington's through the stove, and the ash buildup didn't seem quite this excessive, and it was a finer, less coarse ash. I've got a good, upright flame, without black tips, so I think it's burning pretty clean.

I have not checked the vent for ash buildup yet, nor the doors in the back of the burn chamber. I've got roughly 60 hours of burn time on it, and the ash pan is no where near full, so I assume that's a good sign :).

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

Right on target. Fire for effect.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.