Q&A Ash Dump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a town house with a 21 year old brick heatilator type fireplace. It has an ash dump (filled I might add) and no clean out on the exterior (actually screened porch). If this is in fact an ash dump, do they all have exterior clean outs? I grew up in Florida so what do I know about fireplaces! Maybe there's a secret door behind one of the bricks!

Answer:

Chances at that there is no ash dump, just a pit or area that is already filled. Most of the ash dumps I run into are actually an "endless pit" created when the house is built. This is a large space under the fireplace between the earth and the foundation. It's possible that, because of the pre-fab nature of your firebox, that this was not possible. Best thing to do is clean out the ash you can get to, and then repeat yearly or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.