Ash, Elm and Oak oh My!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_602z

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
Lake Odessa,MI
I thought I had everything under control until I got back in one area where I hadn't cut for 4 years or so! :) Have a BUNCH of Elm blown over and standing dead. Also with the EAB there is plenty of Ash to cut also. Went to another part of our one farm that I only cut on a little last year and what did I see? A beautiful dead Elm still standing but it was begging me to put it out of it's misery. :lol:
So I left 5 Ash trees laying that is cut but needs to be split and cut the standing Elm and some small blowovers because if it starts raining much it will be a pain to get across the chisel plowed fields and I can always get to the Ash.

Then to top things off we lost a BIG limb out of a red oak that went across the power lines and pulled them down. It is about 30 feet long and 2foot across the end that broke off of the tree. I really hated to see that limb come down because we don't have a lot of Oak on our properties and this farm has been in the family since 1875. I bet the tree itself is about 12 ft around measured at a point a couple of foot off the ground.

Does it ever end?
I hope not! :lol:

I know ,I know, I will try to get pictures!!

Gary

I like your approach to getting wood - get the tough stuff now when conditions are OK, leave the stuff that is easier to get for winter, when it might be tough to move wood. I wish I had the same tough calls to make!

Sounds like our place.

Status
Not open for further replies.