Ash! (I think)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
If this is what I think it is it will be my last wood ID post for a while. Is it Ash I'm getting ready to pick up? Best for '15/'16 or will it have a chance for '14/'15? Thanks!

Attachments

• ASH.jpeg
    ASH.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 131
  • ASH2.jpeg
    ASH2.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 122
Could be ash or norway maple.

Looks like a nice White Ash score from here! :cool:

I would have to say Norway Maple from those two pics. Let's see a split.

I would say Ash because Ash seems to get moss growing on it in that pattern like the tree you have, and that pinhole on the flat cutside is so big Stevie Wonder could see it !!! :p

Whack a round open and show us that grain like Nrford said....

It's Ash. The little BB sized hole in the middle of your round is the tell tale sign every time. Great stuff.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I would say Ash because Ash seems to get moss growing on it in that pattern like the tree you have, and that pinhole on the flat cutside is so big Stevie Wonder could see it !!! :p

Whack a round open and show us that grain like Nrford said....
What is that moss? I have it on my ash trees here and I'm not sure if thats whats killing them or its coincidental to something else

What is that moss? I have it on my ash trees here and I'm not sure if thats whats killing them or its coincidental to something else

Certain trees just seem to get moss and stuff like that growing on them while others seem resistant to anything growing on them. I don't know what it is exactly, but I've noticed it grows on Ash quite frequently.

Reactions: D8Chumley
So thats not the reason for their demise? I have one in the pic in my thread (Ash score) I took today that will be coming down soon as its dying and the branches are falling in the yard. Its a safety hazard to me and the family, oh and the pooches too ;em

So thats not the reason for their demise? I have one in the pic in my thread (Ash score) I took today that will be coming down soon as its dying and the branches are falling in the yard. Its a safety hazard to me and the family, oh and the pooches too ;em

Probably the Ash borer is killing them....

Whatever it is, I would let it go this summer and next, unless you split it small.

Looks like I should have posted it in my "too good to be true" thread. I got an email saying that the husband wanted to sell the wood. I'm happy to do the work to get it, bring it home, split it and stack it but I'm thinking it is of little value as it sits. Would any of you guys pay for it? If so, what would you offer?

there is definatly a chance it will be good for 14/15 split it and test it to see where it is.

Would any of you guys pay for it? If so, what would you offer?

No, I am a scrounger, so I wouldn't pay for it or offer anything for it or any wood. I plan to stay a scrounger as long as my body lets me do it....but that's just me.

I to am leaning towards ash. Tell him to sell it.

Would any of you guys pay for it? If so, what would you offer?

He was too cheap to pay the tree service that cut it down to haul it away and now he thinks he can sell it instead is what I think. It looks like it has been on the ground for a while both from the appearance of the wood and the weeds growing up around it. It certainly wasn't cut last week. It might take a while but it will eventually be given away. I wouldn't pay for it.

Nobody is gonna buy it; Just sit tight and wait for a call. I would think most of that will be in pretty good shape, though...

You could look at it two ways, 1) he was too cheap to have the tree service take it away 2) you have wood already bucked and ready for splitting. If I needed wood and scrounging was tight (this year it is) I would offer something, certainly not what a full cord would go for delivered since you have to haul it and its not split. Also depends on what a cord goes for in your area, around here I pay $160 split, dropped right near my racks, it would have to be pretty cheap for me to pay to haul it and then split it.

Status
Not open for further replies.