Oak or Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AstroBoy

Feb 9, 2022
Philadelphia suburbs
The grain looks like oak to me, but there are squiggly lines underneath the bark, consistent with Emerald Ash Borer. This is from a tree that had been down in the woods for at least a year, maybe longer - so maybe the bugs will go for anything that’s down?

I’ll burn it either way, but just curious, and trying to improve my wood ID skills. Thanks for any thoughts.

IMG_6224.jpeg
IMG_6225.jpeg

Not ash.
Oak can have subbark larvae too.

I don't see medullary rays though.

Reactions: AstroBoy
The grain looks like oak to me, but there are squiggly lines underneath the bark, consistent with Emerald Ash Borer. This is from a tree that had been down in the woods for at least a year, maybe longer - so maybe the bugs will go for anything that’s down?

I’ll burn it either way, but just curious, and trying to improve my wood ID skills. Thanks for any thoughts.

View attachment 326363View attachment 326364
I'm going to go with oak as well.

Im going against the grain (pun intended) and saying it is ash.

Bark looks like a young ash trunk or limb wood. Split face looks like much of the ash I've split over the years.

I'm very familiar with ash, and I'm going to say that IS ASH, sometimes I've noticed worn down bark like that on some dead ones.

Grain looks like oak, And i don't really see any diamond pattern in the bark which would say Ash. But it's hard to tell as it's worn down and only a small sample.