Ash pan Door won't seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
I have a Consolidated Dutchwest 2184 Stove and I replaced the ash pan door gasket with the recommended gasket (7/16).
The ash pan door does not line up properly with the seal on the stove and the gasket is not making contact at the bottom. I cannot move the door up any due a panel that sits below the doors on the front of the stove. I replaced the old gasket because it would not pass the dollar bill test and the new gasket fails worse. I new going in that it didn't line up correctly but I thought a new gasket might do the trick. Any ideas on what to do next. The door does pass the dollar bill test at the top, just not at the bottom. Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve

What thickness gasket did you use in the replacement? I just replaced my ash pan door gasket this week with standard 3/8" rope gasket. I did not notice that after removing the old gasket, there was a fair amount of stove cement in the groove from the old gasket. I had to chip some of it out in places before installing the new gasket. Maybe this is what the problem is?

When I did close the door the first few times, it was a bit difficult especially when cutting the gasket to length. You might try pushing the door in with your free hand while closing the handle with your other hand the first few times.

But if you are finding that it's not lining up properly, then you may have installed it incorrectly or the door may have warped which caused the dollar bill test to fail in the first place. Also check the hinge pin for the door. On my DW, it does move up and down a bit (but not easily). It's possible yours moved from its original position and needs to be CAREFULLY moved back into place for the door & stove to line up properly.

Could you post pics? That might help us diagnose your problem

Thanks for the reply. I used 7/16 gasket. I removed all the old cement with a screw driver and small hammer. The problem is that the door will not line up, north and south. The door needs to raise but it is physically impossible due to another part of the stove obstructing the upward (north) movement of the door. I slide the door up as high as it will go and the bottom gasket will not go up high enough to meet the seal on the stove. I would think this would be an issue with warping since the top matches the seal (barely). The only solution I can think of is to add a small piece of gasket out of the groove for the door to seal on. I am not the original owner of the stove and it is probably 18 years old. Thanks for your suggestions

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.