Ash Production Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
every once in a while the topic of how much ash we produce comes up. I've been thinking about this and have decided the following: The amount of ash one produces is almost solely a function of how many LBS of wood one burns. The stove type, burning techniques and wood species doesn't make much of a difference. This is assuming that the burning efficiency is such that complete combustion is achieved and you are left with fine ashes, no coal chunks allowed! As a matter of fact I looked at a UCONN website : http://tinyurl.com/zgpsq and it confirms that a cord of wood should produce about 20 lbs of ash. This link also gives some good advice about using ash in yard and garden to raise PH levels.

I never gave it much thought
I empty the pans when they need it and dump the ash bucket on the garden when its full.

I'll have to check that link out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.