Ash Rake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
I was asked ny a member how I built my ash rake so I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else might want to build one as well. I started with this kids rake:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Kids-Floral-Rake/32505.uts?keyword=rake

I cut a tine off of each side to make it about 4.5" wide.

I then took the wood handle off the rake.

Cut a piece of 1/2" pipe to the length you want. I made mine about 20" long. I used copper pipe as I had it laying around but conduit or any other metal pipe would work.

Insert the rake tang into the pipe and flatten the pipe to the tang.

Drill 2 holes and but some bolts or machine screws to hold it together. I used #10 machiine screws.

Here is the final product (sorry it's dirty from all the use it's been getting)

2rzvw2x.jpg

2q3aec1.jpg

1ffvqr.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the pictures.

Similar to what I built.

Attachments

• 2013-12-14 14.26.18.jpg
    2013-12-14 14.26.18.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 440
Osage what is the other tool there for? Also an ash rake of sorts? I just made mine out of an old rake, the metal handle part alone was 26" and I left another foot of wooden handle. If anyone needs some of the pieces I cut off the ends to make one come on by, I have 2 :)

tools 002.JPG tools 003.JPG tools 005.JPG
tools 005.JPG
tools 003.JPG
Here is mine that I made. If I can find them I'll load some pics of how I make my fire tools. T
tools 002.JPG
here may be some of the Smith shop on here somewhere that I have posted in the past.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Osage what is the other tool there for? Also an ash rake of sorts? I just made mine out of an old rake, the metal handle part alone was 26" and I left another foot of wooden handle. If anyone needs some of the pieces I cut off the ends to make one come on by, I have 2 :)
I made it to level the ashes to an even 1". Just milled an inch out of 1/8" steel with a pipe for handle

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.