Ash splits stained black (mold?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I was delivered some ash that was sitting on the ground for some time (couple of yrs?). Its stained very dark and of course damp on the outside. Sounds good when hit together. Should I have any concerns about the, black possibly mold growth on the wood? I have stacked it loosely off the ground, for use next year.

I had a load of wood delivered one year in a dump at the end of the driveway and it stayed there in a heap with a tarp over it.
The stuff in the middle got rather moldy black but it was fine.
Smelled kinda bad so I tended not to bring any of that stuff in at suppertime so I wouldn't have to go out at midnight.
(ten feet from the back door)
Tried to burn that on weekends during the day so there would be fewer complaints about the stinky wood sitting beside the stove.

Perhaps some of this stack of wood is like yours?

Woodcovered.gif

We also have some still back in the woods that is black on the ends. We'll still use it. It seems every year I find some that I had intended to get but then forgot about it. Perhaps it snowed a lot to cover it and I thought I'd get it after snow melt but didn't. We've never had a problem with it.

You will find that ash is one of the slowest woods to rot or turn punky. It keeps a long time...even if touching the ground.

Its not just the ends, its the whole split.

Try building yourself a small fire outdoors and see how it does. I'm betting it will still burn okay.

I'm sure they will burn ok, my concern is, bringing that much mold into the house. If it is no longer active because its dried out, I am ok with that, but who knows?

There are something like 100,000 known molds but only a few (I think they are the mycotoxin producers) are known to be harmful to us. I take my chances with moldy wood but I don't fill my basement with 4 cord either.

Bottom line, if you don't feel its worth the risk, don't use it.

I will let the season til next year. By that time they will be as dry as they will ever be. I will be careful with them when it come time for their utimate sacrifice.
Thanks

I would not be concerned with the mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.