Ash Vacuums.... Are they worth it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're pretty simple devices, wonder if you have the wrong filter in there ? Pretty much if you have the right filter and it fits tight, no gaps, no cracks or holes and seals then it shouldn't spew dust/ash.
That's a possibility, but we troubleshoot the unit and the service person said it must be a defective vacuum. I used a regular shop vac with a paper filter with a little water on the bottom of the pan and got NO DUST at all out of the exhaust!!! Quite odd....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

From what you've explained, I'd guess faulty vac. I just use a regular bag in my shop vac (8 gal) and have never had a dust exhaust problem .... unless the bag gets a hole in it. That happened once ;em

Reactions: jjones139
My ash vac is the single most useless $80.00 item I've ever bought. Loud. Clogs easy. Doesn't suck worth a crap. Lives in the garage until I get sick of looking at it (soon) then it's finding the steel pile at the dump.

I put the 8gal Crapsmen shop vac on the porch and open the window enough to run a hose thru. (I use two hoses with a coupler) Suck it out and dump it right away. I've been using the same vac for cleaning my Big Green Egg for years. When the vac stops sucking I take off the filter and toss it in the lawn a few times to clean it. I swear the filter is 8 years old. The vac is at least 15 years old and mistreated. It lives outside under an overhang but snow and blowing rain easily enter the motor with no ill effects to date.

Reactions: jjones139
My ash vac is the single most useless $80.00 item I've ever bought. Loud. Clogs easy. Doesn't suck worth a crap. Lives in the garage until I get sick of looking at it (soon) then it's finding the steel pile at the dump.

I put the 8gal Crapsmen shop vac on the porch and open the window enough to run a hose thru. (I use two hoses with a coupler) Suck it out and dump it right away. I've been using the same vac for cleaning my Big Green Egg for years. When the vac stops sucking I take off the filter and toss it in the lawn a few times to clean it. I swear the filter is 8 years old. The vac is at least 15 years old and mistreated. It lives outside under an overhang but snow and blowing rain easily enter the motor with no ill effects to date.
Thanks for the LOL

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I returned the Rigid and scored a 3 year old Loveless Cheetah for $85 on Craigslist and it works great!!!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.