Ashes for Pest Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I just read a gardening article that says wood ash repels slugs and snails, and other insects. Has anyone used wood ash on their firewood stacks, how were your results? I don't see any harm in it. I usually spread them about anyway.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,1581470,00.html

Good stuff...thanks

Helps with the cut worms too. Was at a friends house a couple days ago and he has a OWB. He has piles ashes about 3-4" deep all the way around his garden. Naturally with the OWB, he gets lots of ashes too. We did not get a whole lot of ash this year but it will go on the garden.

Tell me it works for carpenter ants. This is ant season here and I hate using any pesticides.

Tom

I doubt that it would work for those ants but worth a try.

It works on slugs, worms & snails because it's so basic that crawling through it will "burn" their moist skin. Ants or anything with an exoskeleton with likely be un-affected.
Try a barrier of Diatomaceous Earth for them (it pierces their exoskeleton).

It works on slugs, worms & snails because it's so basic that crawling through it will "burn" their moist skin. Ants or anything with an exoskeleton with likely be un-affected.
Try a barrier of Diatomaceous Earth for them (it pierces their exoskeleton).
I have been useing DE for years. Just coated the foundation with 3 boxes, today. The house looks like it has a bad habit. It works for a while, until it gets hit with rain.

I have been useing DE for years. Just coated the foundation with 3 boxes, today. The house looks like it has a bad habit. It works for a while, until it gets hit with rain.
Ashes have to be re-applied after rain as well <>

Status
Not open for further replies.