Ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
I've got a Jotul Oslo... which has a grate in the bottom...obviously which allows 2 things to happen. One to let the ashes fall thru and out & 2... so air...I'm assuming to allow the fuel to burn better. So why is it I hear so many people say it's better to leave an inch or so of ashes to accumulate in the bottom of our stoves? I know some of you will say that there has been many discussions on the subject. I'm lazy...and don't want to search for this and maybe get some new thoughts on this. haha Thanx in advance!

The air actually comes in from the "dog house" -- that bump out at the front of the stove. No air should be coming from the ash pan area.

The reason for the build up of ash is to help preserve the coals -- it acts as an insulative blanket.

The air actually comes in from the "dog house" -- that bump out at the front of the stove. No air should be coming from the ash pan area.

The reason for the build up of ash is to help preserve the coals -- it acts as an insulative blanket.

It's that simple? So your actually saying it slows down the burn?...Than my curiosity says...why would Jotul put that grate in the bottom and not make it solid like some or most company's do with a little dump hole to scrape the ashes into? I'm thinking it in fact does have a seal on the ash door but the pan is sloppy enough to allow air into the stove from the bottom...

The ash bed reduces heat radiation from the bottom of the stove. It doesn't slow down the burn, no air should be entering from below the grate. The ash bed insulates the fire bed and coals so that the fire burns hotter and the stove bottom stays cooler.

Reactions: neumsky
It's that simple? So your actually saying it slows down the burn?...Than my curiosity says...why would Jotul put that grate in the bottom and not make it solid like some or most company's do with a little dump hole to scrape the ashes into? I'm thinking it in fact does have a seal on the ash door but the pan is sloppy enough to allow air into the stove from the bottom...

Simple . . . yes. Slows down the burn . . . no. The ashes help insulate the base from the heat and at the same time preserve coals so that when you wake up in the morning after loading the stove the evening before you will be able to scrape up the ashes and find a bunch of hot coals which you can then toss some kindling or small splits on and have the fire take off lickety split.

The ash pan door seals fine . . . but you just need to check the seal with the dollar bill test (I used the $5 bill test the other day) like you would on the other doors. One thing I would caution you to check is to clean out any of the ash that drops down behind the ash pan if and when you remove and dump the ash pan . . . over time the ash can build up back there and prevent the door from closing securely by pushing the ash pan forward. This is a very, very simple fix if you just get in the habit of shoveling or sweeping the ash from the ash pan when you dump it.

I'll add that when referring to the ash in the bottom, most are referring to the stoves with no grate. However, many who have the grates don't open the ash door at all and just let them build up then emptying ashes from the firebox door.

Which is better? Grate or no grate. To some it is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that I've had both types. I like the no grate the best even though our present stove is the first with no grate.

Reactions: pen
Let the ash pan fill up solid to the grate and don't clean the ash pan until spring. Scoop the ashes above the grate and relax.

Break free of the clean ash door gasket, ash pan pile up angst;-)

I would disagree with Mossycup . . . the Jotul ash pan in my opinion works quite well and is a great way to dispose of ashes quickly and easily. Open door. Slide out pan. Close door. Dump outside in ash can. Open door. Replace pan (and clean ashes if need be). Close door. Quick, easy and little to no mess.

That said . . . I also believe in going with whatever works for you. Many others, like Mossycup, do the scoop deal and have good success with it.

This is interesting... I know with my PE...trying to shovel or scrape ashes into that little hole... I was always moving the brick out of place and than getting that little door closed so it sealed well was a pain. The Jotul is easier in the sense of just moving the ashes so it falls thru. Does all Jotuls have grates? And I would agree...it's not that much of a pain to pull that pan out on the Jotul to empty. I'm still wondering than if it's more for the purpose of breathing for a hotter fire? Air...mean more fuel...more heat. Anyone else out there have more input as to which is more desireble?

This is interesting... I know with my PE...trying to shovel or scrape ashes into that little hole... I was always moving the brick out of place and than getting that little door closed so it sealed well was a pain. The Jotul is easier in the sense of just moving the ashes so it falls thru. Does all Jotuls have grates? And I would agree...it's not that much of a pain to pull that pan out on the Jotul to empty. I'm still wondering than if it's more for the purpose of breathing for a hotter fire? Air...mean more fuel...more heat. Anyone else out there have more input as to which is more desireble?

Pretty sure the ash pan . . . is just an ash pan . . . it shouldn't be introducing any air into the firebox . . . and if it is . . . you've got a problem since the only air this stove is supposed to be getting is what's coming through the doghouse.

And more air does not always equal more heat . . . in fact what you and I want is the opposite . . . once the fire is established and temps are good you want to start restricting the air by turning down the air control . . . then less air is going up the chimney and bringing the heat with it . . . and then typically (if the fuel is good, air ratio is good and temps are good) the real magic starts up with the light show . . . and shortly thereafter I start to get the "sounds and sights of heat" as the secondaries kick in and the stove starts to ping with the sound of it warming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.