Ashford 30.1 smoke smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pitch angle info:

Attachments

• PitchDegrees.jpg
    PitchDegrees.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 180
The home depot ladder# 856265 is 6-11' and you don't want to stand on the top rung. The 3rd one down is the usual stop point for good balance. You will still be above the ladder top. I don't know how tall you are so I can't guess your maximum reach height. Worst case scenario, the top two flue sections can be joined together then placed and secured.

You have plenty of flue/chimney. 6 ft in the room, 3 ft ? in the attic and 9'6" outside = 18.5 ft..

At that 9'6" outside the chimney is just shy of needing a second brace. I would probably add one, especially if this is a high wind area.

You have plenty of flue/chimney. 6 ft in the room, 3 ft ? in the attic and 9'6" outside = 18.5 ft..

At that 9'6" outside the chimney is just shy of needing a second brace. I would probably add one, especially if this is a high wind area.
It is less than 1' in the attic because of vaulted ceiling in stove room.

That's still 16+ ft. which is within spec.

I was looking at the picture of your stove inside the house and it looks like you have the same telescoping connector pipe as do I. Mine was admitting (sucking in) room air at the very bottom. I found this with a butane lighter flame. It was sucking the flame into the pipe (the stove should be hot for the test). The fix was to stuff some fiberglass stove rope up into the interspace area. The stove will have to be cool so the top plate can be removed so you can get the rope and your fingers in there to pack it in tightly to form a seal. I also found a little air leaking at the top of the connector pipe and applied caulk. Fixing air leaks helps.

I was looking at the picture of your stove inside the house and it looks like you have the same telescoping connector pipe as do I. Mine was admitting (sucking in) room air at the very bottom. I found this with a butane lighter flame. It was sucking the flame into the pipe (the stove should be hot for the test). The fix was to stuff some fiberglass stove rope up into the interspace area. The stove will have to be cool so the top plate can be removed so you can get the rope and your fingers in there to pack it in tightly to form a seal. I also found a little air leaking at the top of the connector pipe and applied caulk. Fixing air leaks helps.
I gave that a try. I took a lighter around all the connections. Didn't notice anything different in the flame.

Have you talked with the dealer? What other brands/models do they sell?

Nonsense. Seems like the dealer could at least replace the gasket first. Has the door gasket been replaced yet with a new one glued in with RTV?

Nonsense. Seems like the dealer could at least replace the gasket first. Has the door gasket been replaced yet with a new one glued in with RTV?
No still wait for the gasket and rtv to be shipped. I would like the gasket replace by a dealer as I don't feel real comfortable doing it. The stove is less than 6 months old.

Understood. This is an expensive investment. It should work correctly and not everyone should be doing their own stove work. We get a lot of enthusiasts online here, but the majority of stove owners just want a stove that works well. Not everyone is mechanically inclined.

Understood. This is an expensive investment. It should work correctly and not everyone should be doing their own stove work. We get a lot of enthusiasts online here, but the majority of stove owners just want a stove that works well. Not everyone is mechanically inclined.
It's not that I'm not mechanically inclined because I am. It's that it is a brand new stove and I shouldn't have to be repairing a brand new stove that's less than 6 months old. I really like the stove but the smoke smell is driving me crazy.

Last edited:
While I was waiting for my gasket change-out my Dave at the stove shop gave me a piece of self stick flat (1/2"wide) window glass gasket. It was thin in the middle and a little thicker on the edge. I cut off a pieced placed it on the hinge side. It cut the amount of smoke way down. I believe if you call BKVP at BK, they will arrange to pay for any repairs.

While I was waiting for my gasket change-out my Dave at the stove shop gave me a piece of self stick flat (1/2"wide) window glass gasket. It was thin in the middle and a little thicker on the edge. I cut off a pieced placed it on the hinge side. It cut the amount of smoke way down. I believe if you call BKVP at BK, they will arrange to pay for any repairs.
I have brought it up to BKVP that I would like it installed by a dealer.

You have the new gasket. And 18' of chimney and still have the smoke smell. What's the next step for you?

The amount of smoke smell I have is very very small now, less than with my old top loading stove. I could do nothing more and be happy with things the way they are now but want this to be perfect. My next step is to place single wall 6" pipe within my existing 8" to give me more draft without increasing height. The 8" pipe allows the flue gasses to cool too much. When you get your gasket replaced it will be a great improvement. My stove guy, Dave from A-1, used gasketing he had on hand. I believe it was the continuous bead of RTV that did the trick.

The amount of smoke smell I have is very very small now, less than with my old top loading stove. I could do nothing more and be happy with things the way they are now but want this to be perfect. My next step is to place single wall 6" pipe within my existing 8" to give me more draft without increasing height. The 8" pipe allows the flue gasses to cool too much. When you get your gasket replaced it will be a great improvement. My stove guy, Dave from A-1, used gasketing he had on hand. I believe it was the continuous bead of RTV that did the trick.
I really hope the rtv does the trick.

How long before the gasket change out?

In the meanwhile, you could try the thin window gasket trick as I mentioned before. The stuff is cheap and reversible if you don't like it. It is sold at many hardware stores and is not expensive.

In the meanwhile, you could try the thin window gasket trick as I mentioned before. The stuff is cheap and reversible if you don't like it. It is sold at many hardware stores and is not expensive.
I can try that. Just called window gasket? Any certain thiconfess or temp rating? How did you keep it in there? Do you happen to have any pictures? Thanks for the help.

It is quite thin, ~1/2" wide with adhesive in the back. I cut a piece and placed it on the hinge side centered in the knife edge impression. It is very thin in the middle (just a web of fiberglass), thicker the edges so it tended to hug the knife edge when the door was shut. Sorry, no pictures as the whole gasket has been replaced. It did help with the smoke a lot. If it is fiberglass, it will take the heat. It will stink for a while as it cures.

It is quite thin, ~1/2" wide with adhesive in the back. I cut a piece and placed it on the hinge side centered in the knife edge impression. It is very thin in the middle (just a web of fiberglass), thicker the edges so it tended to hug the knife edge when the door was shut. Sorry, no pictures as the whole gasket has been replaced. It did help with the smoke a lot. If it is fiberglass, it will take the heat. It will stink for a while as it cures.
Worth a try.