Ashley 5660 auger not adjusting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garratttpe

Dec 17, 2018
va
HI All Newbie here, I bought a house with a Ashley 5660L S/N CH 19546-36, I am overseas and this what the wife is telling me.... she moved in to the house last week

starts and works fine but appears that the auger feed rate is stuck on high although the led bar graph says 1. the house gets up to 87 degrees..(1480 sq feet) and I live in the Charlottesville VA area.

I had her set the thermostat to 70 and the hopper is still going full bore and a very "pretty" flame inside.
I have looked on the internet to no avail about what could be making the auger stuck on speed 5.

I am assuming something with the control panel..I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP OR GUIDANCE..

V/r Larry

Is she sure the stove is in thermostat mode? Mine has two thermostat modes, an on/off mode and a high/low mode (where the fire never goes completely out). There is also a manual mode, in which the stove ignores the thermostat and goes by the "heat level" setting on the control panel (changing the heat level varies the convection fan speed and the auger feed rate).

I've been running on manual so far, and even on the lowest heat level, the stove room gets up to 80° unless the weather is well below freezing. If the outside temp gets above 50°, we have to turn the stove off.

Don't know about your model, but on mine the auger feed rate is adjustable to some extent. Have you found the manual anywhere, in your on-line searching? It might be worth trying to find, in case it has some troubleshooting advice.

In the manual mode the light bar shows level 1, it does go up to level 5 when she presses the arrow up button, and then goes back to level 1 when pressing the down button. I had her put it on thermostat mode and nothing seemed to change but after your post I suspect nothing would change if it is truly on setting 1. it was around 50 when it was on which is prob a little warm to use the stove in the room it is in.
I will be home in 2 weeks and I will set it to level 3 in thermostat mode and see if it drops to level 1 when the desired temp is reached and that will tell me for sure all is good and it was just to warm out to really need the stove. It is a tri level house and the stove is on the bottom floor.

the previous owners were a older couple and I suspect they just turned it up to allow the heat to radiant through the house and they didn't use the lower level so the much higher temp in that room was not an issue for them. thanks for your reply

Larry

I once shared a hospital room with this old guy (he and his wife were in their eighties), and I overheard him talking to his wife on the phone: "Don't worry, dear; the thermostat is set to 85°. It goes down to 80° at night, but only after you're in bed, so you won't notice the cold." I had two thoughts: (1) I never want to visit that house, because I'd die; and (2) I wouldn't want to have to pay his oil bill!

The earlier 5660 stove came with a side mounted panel, the later ones came with a top mounted panel.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachm...y-bay-front-side-top-mount-boards-pdf.191786/

If you have the control panel on top of the stove, mine uses the same control panel and board part number. When you say bar graph and light bar, makes me think you have the top panel. You can't adjust the feed rate or blower settings, they are fixed on the 5 heat ranges.

When running thermostat mode, you first start with manual mode and choose the heat range you want to toggle between (2-5, sounds like yours is already set at 5), then hit thermostat, and set it to I believe 3 degrees above where you really want the temp. Like to stablize at 75 I think I have to set mine to 78. Choosing a temp more than 3 degrees above the room temp will jump it up to the heat range you set (5). The LEDs will light accordingly, the room fan will noticeably run faster and louder, and the pellets will feed faster and the flame stronger. Choosing a lower temp, it will slow down and run on heat range 1. Of course you still have to wait for that big load of pellets to burn down before you notice a difference in flame and heat.

I leave mine on manual mode nearly all the time. One reason is I find the heat range toggling back and forth is annoying. I've also got mine down to a science with outside temps, I find it easier to just hit one button and change heat range rather than fiddle with the thermostat.

I agree, at 50F the stove stays off or it will cook me out of the house. It sounds like that might be the case with yours. Thermostat is completely useless if heat range 1 is too hot for the house. It won't go any lower, and it won't turn the stove off and on automatically. All you can do is open a window, or manually shut the stove off for awhile.

Last edited: