ashley/king pellet stove 5500m

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boysovsumr

Mar 6, 2014
pa
producing a LOT of soot (light colored, not black) in 3 1/2 days . . . flame seems aggressive . . . do you think it's the pellet quality or should I adjust the drafts? right now everything is set to auto

Light colored is not soot but a ash. Your probably pretty good with air mix. IMO

Sounds like it needs to be cleaned. Some stoves need to be cleaned more often than others and depends some what on pellets used too. Read your manual. It may help. Since US stoves bought that line have no idea on how helpful it will be.

we thoroughly cleaned it on past weekend - including all vents. on wednesday cleaned again, a lot of soot and burn box full

Yeah after 4 days it may need to get cleaned again. If it's burning ok and just a lot of ash it may be just the pellets.

Soot by definition is : the fine black particles, chiefly composed of carbon, produced by incomplete combustion. Post a picture and we can get you a better guess.

Sounds very normal. I have stoves on both ends of the cleaning regimen. Daily to monthly. Most stoves need some tlc at least once a week. If you read what others do for cleaning you will be releaved.

thank you . . . it just seemed so different than last year, but then this winter in pa has been pretty drastic. we've gone through over 6 tons of pellets, last year only went through 5

I made the mistake of adjusting the draft to 2 above the heat range . . . clinkers all over the place, then flame went out, black glass after 12 hours of burning like that . . . going to clean it and go back to auto

Status
Not open for further replies.