Ashley Wood Stove (Circulator) history:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack B

Hearth Supporter
Feb 19, 2010
Wester New York State
When did Ashley convert from using Fire Brick in the Fire Box, to the Cast Iron Plates?
(Or is it the other way around?-- Anyway-- When the change?)

Mine has the Fire Brick-- they have served well-- But I am looking for a replacement--
Which one (Cast Iron Plates, or Fire Brick) should I be looking for?
Thanks for your help- [email protected]

The big ol ugly ashley was my first stove. I loved it. Mine had cast plates, and was purchased in 1978.

Why do you think those big ol Ashley's were ugly? I didn't think they were ugly at all. Not the best stoves for sure but not ugly.

I think they went to firebrick sometime in the mid 80's but not sure.

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your comments-
I agree-- I do NOT think they are ugly either!--
And some are convinced they are safer when children and pets are around...

What do you think of these modern, higher efficiency stoves, Dennis?
Have you switched to the more modern 'environmentally friendly' type?

Sincerely, [email protected]

Yes Mack, those were good when one had children. Pets need no training as they will train themselves. But along that line, I grew up with the old heater stoves. We had to heaters and a cook stove that all burned wood. I do not ever recall anyone getting burned on those things. Hey, we even had to heat our water in that cook stove. It had a reservoir on one end and did a pretty good job of heating water but it was a stuggle on school days with 4 kids using it. Me, being the smallest and youngest, well, I didn't exactly get as much as I wanted but had to make do.

In 2007 we bought the Woodstock Fireview and what a fascinating stove it is. Since we've installed that we've cut our wood needs in half and stay a whole lot warmer. That is hard to beat.

Darn it, I forgot to welcome you to the forum Mack. You'll find a very friendly group here.

Got my ashley out in pole barn, using 1/3 the wood with my englander. Miss the larger wood cuts. Think manual says mine is from 1981 no firebrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.