Shopping for 110 year old home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It is national in the us. If it was in a separate finished room apart from tge garage area that would be fine
I’m going to have to read the code on this one. If I put the wood stove in a wood framed flammable room, it’s ok? But if I put it in my masonry garage with a concrete floor, that’s where things get dangerous? Confused.

Now if it says something like a place where flammable chemicals, vehicles and/or batteries are stored, then I get it.

And if I put a sofa in the garage, does it become “finished?”

If I’m done with my renovations, it must be “finished.”
:)

I’m going to have to read the code on this one. If I put the wood stove in a wood framed flammable room, it’s ok? But if I put it in my masonry garage with a concrete floor, that’s where things get dangerous? Confused.

Now if it says something like a place where flammable chemicals, vehicles and/or batteries are stored, then I get it.

It says a garage or any space containing gasoline or other flammable vapors. So if it's a separate room from the garage area but in the same building it would be ok

It says a garage or any space containing gasoline or other flammable vapors. So if it's a separate room from the garage area but in the same building it would be ok
My neighbhood calls the detached garages “sheds” for some reason. There’s a wall radiator, a chimney, plumbing, and a tongue-and-groove floor on the second story. It seems pretty apparent that it was once some type of servants work or living quarters at one point in time. I’ve considered finishing the second story to make it nice, and heat would be a key part of that. The wood stove using the chimney would be on the concrete first floor, where the walls are currently all masonry. I do have one gas pressure washer I’ve been contemplating replacing with an electric one. Otherwise, I’ve got no reason for gas cans. I keep paints and chemicals in the basement of the house, but none of that takes away the possibility of someone calling it a garage. That is what it is after all, and some day I do hope to park cars in there.

Does anyone have a link to the code?

NFPA 12.2.3 and 12.2.4. Wood Burning Appliances: Installation:

(3) Wood burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable liquids, vapors or gases are present or likely to be present.

(4) Wood burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Before proceeding speak to the local inspecting authority and insurance company.

Reactions: Mknmike
NFPA 12.2.3 and 12.2.4. Wood Burning Appliances: Installation:

(3) Wood burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable liquids, vapors or gases are present or likely to be present.

(4) Wood burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Before proceeding speak to the local inspecting authority and insurance company.
I actually had it out with our township over this bit of code, many years ago. It was the "or likely to be present" bit that they stood upon. It didn't matter if I never planned to use my carriage barn as a garage. They stated that if it had overhead doors, then vehicles containing gasoline or other flammable liquids were likely to be present. Their argument was that any future owner of the house might very sensibly and very likely to park vehicles or gas cans in any space with an overhead door. Thus, overhead door = no wood stove.

They did concede that I could install a wood stove, if I'd just remove the overhead doors.

I actually had it out with our township over this bit of code, many years ago. It was the "or likely to be present" bit that they stood upon. It didn't matter if I never planned to use my carriage barn as a garage. They stated that if it had overhead doors, then vehicles containing gasoline or other flammable liquids were likely to be present. Their argument was that any future owner of the house might very sensibly and very likely to park vehicles or gas cans in any space with an overhead door. Thus, overhead door = no wood stove.

They did concede that I could install a wood stove, if I'd just remove the overhead doors.
Interesting. Thank you. And thanks above for the “code.” I see my town has adopted ICC 2018 for building codes, and see that this thread states that NFPA is not (necessarily) code, but well respected of course.

I had an issue where we took out the wall between the house and the garage. Installed a new 17’ glass garage door. Now my whole house is technically a garage because I could drive a car into my new living room. It’s an amazing space but any inspector could fail any inspection now. Fortunately at the time of the only inspection I had only demoed and painted so technically no new build permits were needed and the HVAC was inspected as a straight replacement.

But I foresee issues for any permits in the future.

Many approved woodstove installs in my part of southeastern PA, in lower levels of split levels with garages. But always on the other side of the fire wall, from the garage space.

I certainly understand that flammable materials are likely to be in a garage, especially one with an overhead door and vehicles that could leak gasoline. I get it, especially if you’ve got an open fireplace with nothing to stop popping and crackling cinders from flying all over. People might be less careful in a garage with a cement floor that won’t burn when embers fly. And when most new homes are constructed with attached garages instead of detached garages, that could mean the entire home burns down.

In my town, last I checked, detached garages need to be constructed of masonry, not framed walls. I don’t know if drywall or framing is allowed on the interior, but I would guess so, as rafters are all wood in all the garages I’ve seen in my town. I also see several new garages that appear to have been constructed with wood farming above a certain level, like about 3 feet.

That just might settle the concept of whether or not I’ve got two Vermont Stove Company Shelburne stoves to get rid of. A friend of mine who constructed his own waste oil burner for his shop might be interested in them to hack up for at least their glass doors and frames.

I thought I’d give an update. Our natural gas bills keeping the house as chilly as I can and not heating a drafty addition, we are still getting natural gas bills over $300 and the electric usage is up there too. Next month’s combined bill will be about $575 for gas and electric. The natural gas is also hot water and range usage too. So the heating cost is certainly below $10/day. Feeding an insert will certainly be working for <$10/day. So I guess it might just make sense to stick with the open fireplace, even if that costs me money. I should figure out what our baseline and max natural gas usage is and maybe figure out how much electricity the hydronic pumps are using too.

I rarely drop the thermostats we use below 60 F, and try to make sure they are always under 68 F too. 65 is pretty common. I try to open the blinds every sunny day for as much solar gain as possible. I think insulation and perhaps power blinds (scheduled to open when sun is shining) for these windows might make more sense.

Thermostats:
one for all the first floor other than the drafty addition, and one for second and third floors. We keep the addition off and have rarely used that nice room all winter bc of that.

I still struggle a little as to whether burning wood in my scenario is a lot greener than burying the carbon from the wood in the ground, slowing its release into the atmosphere.