Asian Longhorned Beetle - Found In Ohio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M@dMinute

Sep 17, 2014
Southwest OH
Anyone else in SW Ohio, I ran into a guy from USDA the other day. Was talking to him, he told me they have found Asian long horned beetles in Clermont County Ohio(That's were he was headed). I hadn't heard anything about it before, he gave me a card about identifying and the wood types it would attack. He said it is much slower than the Emerald Ash Borer and they are hoping to contain it. If you see any he said to call them, they would check and treat all the trees at no cost. Figured I would pass it along.
List of trees they attack:
ASH
BIRCH
ELM
GOLDEN RAINTREE
HACKBERRY
HORSECHESTNUT
KATSURA
MAPLE
MIMOSA
MOUNTAIN ASH
LONDON PLAINTREE
POPLAR
WILLOW

I wish we could find a genetic engineer that would invent an insect that would kill elm seed bugs. In 2012 we had an INVASION in Idaho, now everybody is cutting down all he elms that the dutch elm disease didn't kill. These damned things look almost exactly like box elder bugs, but feed on elm seeds in spring, and like to come inside by the thousands in the summer to escape the heat. We literally had thousands crawling out of every power socket in the whole upstairs of the house. So did everyone else with an elm tree within a football field of their house. Nobody, to my knowledge, had ever seen them in the US prior to this, was told they came from europe somehow.

I'm also in SW Ohio (Dayton area). EAB got my ash trees, so they're dead & being turned into firewood. All that's left around my property are big maple trees. Hopefully the bugs will be generous & leave at least a few big trees on my property.

That long horn bug is particularly nasty, it attacks everything.

Reactions: M@dMinute
Please post images of how to identify this beast! I see the link, but links can change... Images last 'forever.'

Just Google it "Asian Long horned beetle"

Near the airport area in Toronto there are large signs warning about the Asia Longhorn Beetle. They say that people need to check any skids arriving from the far East for beetles hiding in them. This is part of a story from 2 yrs ago:

"Asian long-horned beetles first showed up in Canada – Toronto and Vaughan, specifically – in 2003, and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency battled them for a decade, surveying and then cutting down 27,000 trees at a cost of $33-million, before declaring the species eradicated last April. But the celebration was short-lived.

In August, a Mississauga resident found an adult Asian long-horned beetle on his car and emailed a photo of it to the CFIA, which positively identified it in its Ottawa lab, said Ben Gasman, an inspection manager with the CFIA. The beetles are distinctive creatures: their black bodies are usually two to four centimetres long and covered in rows of parallel white spots. Their name comes from their long, curly black-and-white antennae.

Dozens of CFIA workers were deployed to scour a 2.5-kilometre area in Mississauga’s Malton area and a small segment of western Toronto for signs of infestation: some climbed trees looking for “exit wounds” – holes in the trunk or branches, others examined treetops in cherry pickers, looking for leaf damage, Mr. Gasman said."

asia beetle.jpg beetle.jpg
This is a good link with info, photos and maps of areas affected in the US.
http://www.plantheroes.org/asian-longhorned-beetle-0

Reactions: bfitz3
Here is the ID card. Maples are what I am worried about since that is about all I have left in my yard. Took down two more large ash trees this week due to emerald ash borer. At least 4 cords worth of wood.
The guy I talked to from USDA said they believe they originally came on pallet wood, now they require them to be kiln dried. The location they found them in Ohio at was selling firewood. They went through every known customer he sold to and searched the area, they believed it only spread into one other area. The county now has a no firewood laws across county lines.
Main site can be found at http://asianlonghornedbeetle.com/

Attachments

• alhb.jpg
    alhb.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: bfitz3
Status
Not open for further replies.