1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ask and you shall receive

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by op_man1, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. op_man1

op_man1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Ok, so I'm kind of new to this wood business. I thought I had seen quite a bit, though, having accumulated 7.5 cords in the last 1.5 years. So when I saw the tree service guys working this morning and asked them to drop stuff off today, I thought hey, more is good! Now I have a 6 foot long 36 inch log sitting in my driveway. AND lots of silver maple. And lots of Jack Pine. I probably have a total of 2 or 3 cords in the driveway. And really inadequate equipment to process it. To those of you who have elevated wood processing to an art form, I salute you. After this, and considering some other wood that I have commited to taking, I will probably be good for the next 4-5 years. Hmm, maybe if I sell a few facecords I could buy a good chainsaw...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Congrats on the score!

btw how did you process the 7.5 scrounged cords without a chain saw? ;-)
  3. op_man1

op_man1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Borrowed it. It is a cheap HD Ryobi. Does the job. Borrowing it again for this but might need to rent a good one for the big stuff. Guess it won't be free anymore!
  4. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and SoVT
    That's a very impressive amount of wood in such a short period of time. Even if you rent/buy you'll still be ahead of the game.
  5. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Just play/cut safe!!!!
  6. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    HD in the states rents the Makita 6401 (I don't know about up north). This saw should be enough to get you through the 36" stuff if you have a 20"+ bar. Ideally you'd want a 80cc+ saw for that wood, but a 60cc saw will get the job done with a little more time.

BTW, some of the HD stores will sell their used 6401 for under $200 when they are done with them... the saw is a bargain at that price. For another $200 it can be upgraded to an 80cc saw by just changing the P&C;and retuning.
  7. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    And, Bailey's is currently selling the 6401 for $540.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.