Aspen C3 stove top tenperature runs hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deere-nh

Aug 30, 2022
NH
Hi all I have a vermont casting aspen C3 woodstove that I bought a year old in 2022. The past couple months stove top temperatures have been getting as high as 900f every burn. I have checked that the damper is closing. This seems very hot to me. Any suggestions?

1000004837.jpg

The first suspect is an inaccurate thermometer though the cookplate will be hotter. If you put the other thermometer there what does it read?

One tip is not to wait a couple months if you’re seeing temps this high. Hopefully it is the gauge but you want to get a solution for something like this right away. I bought an IR gun for ~$60 that’s reliable. I’ve tested every conceivable object in my house including all humans and pets! 😂

I have checked with a FLIR IR camera and had the thermometer side by side and it is accurate.

I understand that the cooking surface will probably be the hottest on the stove and that's why I put the thermometer there.

I have checked with a FLIR IR camera and had the thermometer side by side and it is accurate.

I understand that the cooking surface will probably be the hottest on the stove and that's why I put the thermometer there.
Try putting the other thermometer next to it just as a check.

Any way you recommend checking the gaskets? I have done a visual inspection with everything looking good.
Close a dollar bill in the door it should be hard to pull out

Ok I will try that.

Unfortunately this whole woodstove is gasketed together on all the panels. Any recommendations to check them?
No just check the door and glass if that's fine you could check for leaks with smoke

Mine can hit 800-900 regularly. I’m usually trying to slow it down if I see it approaching that temp. I currently don’t have a surface thermometer. I know if my Auber probe is in the upper 600s, the STT is cooking. Checked by IR.
I think I have associated it with how the coals lay in the bottom. Reloading too hot, too soon.
Sometimes fresh wood that is off gassing is perched up on coals that haven’t crumbled yet and it starts to get away. I can usually knock them down more level and the temp drops.