Assistance Needed - ZC fireplace want wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowdawg54

Mar 2, 2014
Shortsville, NY
Really could use some help.

I have a Temco ZC fireplace and alot of the heat goes up the chimney. I'd like to put in a wood insert and was looking at a PE model. The dealer and installer is telling me no problem will work fine and they will put a SS liner in chimeny.
I stopped at a different dealer to check out Jotul models and this dealer tells me they absolutely will not install and insert in ZC fireplace. That's not a good idea.

Now I'm more confused than before and unsure about the safety of doing this. Suggestions? My husband is against tearing the corner apart and putting in a stove. Can i put an insert in safely? I don't want to burn my house down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is a very controversial topic here and in the pro field. I feel that it is not a good idea personally and the Chimney Safety Institute of America says the same. But lots of others say it is ok including some stove manufacturers. So I would say read over some of the other threads on the topic and make your own decision. I will tell you as a pro my self I will not do it.

What does the manual for your ZC fireplace say about putting in an insert? My manual (for a Majestic) said no inserts allowed.. So I'm ripping out the fireplace and building an alcove out of my old chase and putting in a freestanding stove.

To my knowledge there isn't a zc unit that says it is ok. I may be wrong on that though there are a few inserts that say they can go into a zc unit though. Which the way I look unless both units say it is ok I don't think it is.

Which the way I look unless both units say it is ok I don't think it is.

That's the way I feel too... I was actually thinking if I could get a cheap enough new ZC fireplace that would allow me to put in a decent insert, then I'd just swap fireplaces and stick in an insert.. but I couldn't find two that went together so just went with the alcove & freestanding stove idea..

That is a very controversial topic here and in the pro field. I feel that it is not a good idea personally and the Chimney Safety Institute of America says the same. But lots of others say it is ok including some stove manufacturers. So I would say read over some of the other threads on the topic and make your own decision. I will tell you as a pro my self I will not do it.

thanks for your information... i'm getting exactly that feeling.

the manual from my fireplace has it as a warning not to use differnt glass doors, insets, etc. Yet Pacific Energy insert specifically says it can be used with a manufactured fireplace and the installer has done a number of them with no problems, but.......

That's the way I feel too... I was actually thinking if I could get a cheap enough new ZC fireplace that would allow me to put in a decent insert, then I'd just swap fireplaces and stick in an insert.. but I couldn't find two that went together so just went with the alcove & freestanding stove idea..

I've thought about doing something similar, but really don't want to ripe everything out and do that. I fell in love with the insert and the functionality and setup.
Thanks for your input.

The PE guy and installer are professionals. They make their living installing these things. I've had two inserts, a Quad and my current Hampton, installed by professionals. They both have been great. PS: I really love my Hampton insert.

I've thought about doing something similar, but really don't want to ripe everything out and do that. I fell in love with the insert and the functionality and setup.
Thanks for your input.

In that case one would be way better off replacing the original ZC with a modern EPA ZC fireplace that really heats well. It would be silly to buy a ZC fireplace just to provide a place to install an insert, especially with the many good ZC heaters on the market today.

Reactions: Minnesota Marty
The PE guy and installer are professionals. They make their living installing these things. I've had two inserts, a Quad and my current Hampton, installed by professionals. They both have been great. PS: I really love my Hampton insert.

Appreciate your input.... This has been so confusing. I thought that i had it all figured out until i went to a second dealer, then all the turmoil started.

So today I called my zoning office. The last thing I want to do is do something wrong and have something happen and then be told my insurance was voided because of not doing something right. So what they tell me is to bring all the information on the insert so they can valldiate it can be used that way and that SS liner was going to be put in the chimeny and i'll have my permit and they will fire inspect. He hasn't heard anything bad about putting an insert into a ZC fireplace over the years. So that made me feel a little better.
So, one more deep breath and talk again with other half, either pull it out and put in a stove or give it whirl. There are pros to pulling it out, more room in the corner instead of the fireplace, a little change to design in the room and less expense since th demo part we can do ourselves.

I would check with your insurance company to. This is a point of controversy in the field. I have no doubt it can be done safely but to me it is not worth the liability to do it my self. God forbid if something happened it would absolutely come back on me as the installer. And I also would not want tat on my conscience either.

I like the way you are approaching this snowdawg. There are some advantages to each possibility but I think the bulk are in favor of removing the ZC and replacing it with a freestanding stove. You will have a no exceptions install, more choices for the stove, better heating, and most likely a better looking final product. If you choose this approach feel free to keep asking questions about stoves or installation.

I would check with your insurance company to. This is a point of controversy in the field. I have no doubt it can be done safely but to me it is not worth the liability to do it my self. God forbid if something happened it would absolutely come back on me as the installer. And I also would not want tat on my conscience either.

I fully understand what you are saying. I guess that's why I'm so conerned about doing this. I'm starting to talk myself into ripping it out, the wall down and just revamp it and put in a stove. It's a really nice looking area now and my hubby really likes it the way it is. I also realize the ripping it out sounds easier said than done. I do like some of the stoves that are out there these days.

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 104
I like the way you are approaching this snowdawg. There are some advantages to each possibility but I think the bulk are in favor of removing the ZC and replacing it with a freestanding stove. You will have a no exceptions install, more choices for the stove, better heating, and most likely a better looking final product. If you choose this approach feel free to keep asking questions about stoves or installation.

Thanks alot. That's some of the things that i keep telling my hubby.... it will add little more room since from corner to corner where the fireplace is 84" wide. We could build a taller narrow wood storage box on each side too and still make it a brick back area. I might call insurance company next as suggested by bholler earlier as another check.

I fully understand what you are saying. I guess that's why I'm so conerned about doing this. I'm starting to talk myself into ripping it out, the wall down and just revamp it and put in a stove. It's a really nice looking area now and my hubby really likes it the way it is. I also realize the ripping it out sounds easier said than done. I do like some of the stoves that are out there these days.

Be aware that some insurance companies like inserts and some insurance companies like stoves. I had to really shop to find one that let me have an insert and a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.