At what chimney height should one consider a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If the draft is pulling so hard that you can't control the burn, that would be the point at which to consider a flue damper I'd say.

I have a 18ft stack, but the house sits on top of a hill with no tree's for cover, I tested by draft with a meter and found it to be excessive, so i installed a key damper in my double wall pipe, I generally close the damper only when temps are in the 20's or below, or if its windy outside.

If internal pipe temps are excessive when the stove is turned all the way down...probably excessive draft.

I think you will get many different answers. It really depends on your stove and if you can control the burn rate with your stove damper alone.

I have 32ft of exterior chimney with 4ft of interior for a total of 36ft. The air control on my stove still controls the burn rate well, I can almost put out the fire if I turn in right down.

If your stove appears to "run away" or burn too fast with the damper all the way down it's probably time to consider one.