Atlanta Stove Box 27 Stove Pipe Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimkuy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2010
Hello all, I am new to this site and need your help!

I have been given an old Atlanta Stove Works Box 27 stove that have been around the family for years. It is in great shape, and I have had it sand blasted and painted so it can be used. I need some direction on the stove pipe set up. The stove has an oval opening where the pipe attaches. This is an oblong oval type opening approximately 7 inches long and 4 inches wide. Can someone recommend a part and the pipe for this stove. All I can find are round pipes, but I need to attach it first to the stove! I intend to use it on the patio, and pipe it through the metal roof.

I would appreciate any info or recommendation on the oval part part connection, and also the materials I would need to put it through the metal roof.

Thanks in advance.

Jim K.

Hey Jim,

I have one that was installed in my fireplace untill a few weeks ago. Ovalizing a 6" pipe works well. I found this out after buying an oval 7" to round adaptor and cutting it. It didn't work, obviously. I had a simple 6" pipe not crimped into the top of the stove. In other words, it goes on the outside of the exhaust flange. Good luck!!

VCBurner said:
Hey Jim,

I have one that was installed in my fireplace untill a few weeks ago. Ovalizing a 6" pipe works well. I found this out after buying an oval 7" to round adaptor and cutting it. It didn't work, obviously. I had a simple 6" pipe not crimped into the top of the stove. In other words, it goes on the outside of the exhaust flange. Good luck!!

some stoves were set up to go on the outside of flue collar, but code says the male end should go into the stove

and i agree, smooshing one end of a 6x12 always worked for me

THanks for the info. Since the dimensions of the oval are 7" X 3" then "ovalizing" a round piece should work if it needs to go on the inside of the appliance.

What do you use to keep it in place or to "seal" the pipe into the appliance to avoid leaks etc. Sorry that the questions seem so elementary but I just dont know who else to ask!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim K

Jimkuy said:
THanks for the info. Since the dimensions of the oval are 7" X 3" then "ovalizing" a round piece should work if it needs to go on the inside of the appliance.

What do you use to keep it in place or to "seal" the pipe into the appliance to avoid leaks etc. Sorry that the questions seem so elementary but I just dont know who else to ask!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim K

Hey Jim,

I agree with putting the pipe into the flange as opposed to around it. That is the correct way to do it. I believe it keeps anything that may fall down the pipe from landing outside the stove. To seal the pipe you can use furnace cement around it. Just apply as if you were caulking it. You can find it in a squeezable tubes or tubes that fit in a caulking gun. They also sell plastic cans of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.