ATN: Electronic techs, gerus, techies, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd460

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2006
I know there is a product out there (or was) that could be connected to your standard furnace (gas forced air) that would turn the blower motor on at a scheduled rate regardless of the temperature. I assume it is some type of a timer which triggers a relay or sends a signal via the thermostat to turn the blower on for say 10 minutes every hour (or whatever you program it to be as far as interval and duration).

If I remeber correctly, it was like $60 bucks. While not too bad of a price, I was thinking that it would not be too tough of a DIY project for those who have some basic electronics/circuit/soldering knowledge. I can't see more than $20 in components.

While I know a little about electronics, I do play around with it a little as a hobby. I know basic electronic components, their functions, and can read basic schematics.

I was hoping someone in the "know" would have some ideas on the type of circuit I just described. Something based on a 555 timer (or similiar) and a relay for the 24 volt system that would trigger the blower on a furnace for a period of time at regular intervals.

I know there has been discussion here in the past about the benifits vs disadvantages of using the blower on a furnace to move air around, but I know for a fact in my home with my layout, it does help distribute the heat a little better and even out the temperatures some. I agree it does not serve much advantage running the blower on a continous basis, but at periodic intervals, it does help my situation. I do turn on the blower from time to time when the room where my burner is way too warm and the other end of the house is too cool. I would like this to happen automatically when I am sleeping :)

So, any ideas on a circuit, or even something simple that I am not aware of (didn't think of) to acheive this? Might be something fun and benificial to come up with. KD

It's a repeat timer circuit.

This may help:
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Repeat-Timer-Circuit.htm

Why not just activate the furnace blower when the stove room gets too hot? I'm thinking of adding a second thermostat that just activates the fan rather than the central air. Or is there an easier/better way?

EDIT: I was just thinking about this a little more. How about a second electronic thermostat so you can keep the stove room a little warmer during the times people are likely to be in there and then at night it can have the fan come on at a lower temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.