Attaching double wall pipe to terracotta

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chicadee510

Nov 6, 2010
Central NY
Hi,

I would like to replace the single wall stove pipe to double wall pipe and I have all the pieces ready to order, but I do not know how to attach the double stove pipe to the terracotta coming throu the wall. It is a 6" diameter. Right now the single wide pipe slides into the terracotta pipe in the wall. But the 6" double is too large to go in. I called the stove pipe company and they said they did not have an adapter. Could someone help, please?

You can make a male-male connector out of a short length of single-wall stainless. Cut off the uncrimped end until you have about a 4" length, then crimp the cut end so you have crimps on both ends. Furnace cement it into your thimble with the factory crimp extending into the room. Your double-wall will plug right on.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. How far into the terra cotta should the single wall go? Up to the chimney? If I am picturing it right only a inch or so needs to be on the outside in the room?

Thanks for the info. I just didn't know the terminology to search for the adapter. It was strange the company I bought the stove pipe from did not know the answer to this problem. I appreciate the links to the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.