Auger in Quadra Fire CB 1200 keeps reversing......Can you help?........Update........It's Working No

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

torryh

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2010
Northern Michigan
I have a Classic Bay 1200. It starts up perfectly and after about 10 minutes, it stops feeding pellets and the fire goes out. I checked it and the auger will turn backwards, and then go forward. If I push the reset button, it starts working right again. After another 10 minutes, I have to do the same thing again. Any ideas on whats going on?

tater said:
I have a Classic Bay 1200. It starts up perfectly and after about 10 minutes, it stops feeding pellets and the fire goes out. I checked it and the auger will turn backwards, and then go forward. If I push the reset button, it starts working right again. After another 10 minutes, I have to do the same thing again. Any ideas on whats going on?

Control board. I'm not entirely sure, but if the auger motor is DC it can be reversed by switching the leads (reversing polarity). If the control board is in charge of this function....then it's the control board. If you have an AC motor then I'm not quite sure what to tell you. But it is most likely still the control board. I'm not an electronic engineer or anything close. Perhaps there is a loose lead or a lead on the motor that is grounding out premature.

tater said:

How old is the unit? Had any electrical surges lately? (is there a surge suppressor on the stove?) Have you tried unplugging the stove for a few minutes, and then trying?

The augar running in reverse is a problem seen on some Quads. It is either the capacitor and/or the wiring harness that the capacitor is mounted within. I believe Quad reccommends replacing the wiring harness with which the capacitor is mounted within. It should be a plug in part.

Bkins

Thanks so much guys! Yes, I did unplug the stove. Didn't help. Put a new rope gasket around the door, checked the vacume hose and totally cleaned everything thoroughly. It really is weird, you can watch the auger go perfectly for about two revolutions and then it stops and goes in reverse for a turn and then forward again. So the stove isn't getting enough pellets to hold the fire. To answer the other question, the stove is 3 years old, and no, we haven't had any power surges lately. I haven't had any problems with it at all until now and this one has got me baffled! (Had one repairman tell me it can't run backwards, it just looks like it's running backward sometimes.........I'm standing there watching it do it while we're talking on the phone...LOL). I did order a new auger motor and I'm hoping that is the fix.

tater said:
Thanks so much guys! Yes, I did unplug the stove. Didn't help. Put a new rope gasket around the door, checked the vacume hose and totally cleaned everything thoroughly. It really is weird, you can watch the auger go perfectly for about two revolutions and then it stops and goes in reverse for a turn and then forward again. So the stove isn't getting enough pellets to hold the fire. To answer the other question, the stove is 3 years old, and no, we haven't had any power surges lately. I haven't had any problems with it at all until now and this one has got me baffled! (Had one repairman tell me it can't run backwards, it just looks like it's running backward sometimes.........I'm standing there watching it do it while we're talking on the phone...LOL). I did order a new auger motor and I'm hoping that is the fix.

Did you read Smokey's, Bkins and smwilliamson's replies???????,Up to you, I guess.

tater said:

You are wasting your time and money by replacing the motor. It won't fix your problem unless you are also replacing the harness that contains the capacitor. AS I mentioned before it IS a known problem/situation. Maybe your looking to have some spare parts.

Bkins

Hi Guys, I had already ordered the motor before I received the replies. It comes with the wiring harness. Guess if I have a spare motor, that will pretty much guarantee it won't go bad........ LOL. Thanks again for all of your help, I've learned a lot more from you guys than I did talking to all those technicians on the phone!!! I'll let you know if it works.

Hi Guys! Well my feed motor came this morning and I put it in. The capacitor is part of the wiring to the motor.....It is in the wiring with the plug that comes directly from the motor, so in order to replace the capacitor, I had to put the new motor in. It is working fine now, but still don't know if it was just the capacitor, or the motor. You guys are great! I have been a visitor on this forum, but until now, haven't had to use it myself. Anyone who is having trouble should definately use this site for answers before they even try anything!!! Thanks Again!!!!!

Hi Guys! Well my feed motor came this morning and I put it in. The capacitor is part of the wiring to the motor…..It is in the wiring with the plug that comes directly from the motor, so in order to replace the capacitor, I had to put the new motor in. It is working fine now, but still don’t know if it was just the capacitor, or the motor. You guys are great! I have been a visitor on this forum, but until now, haven’t had to use it myself. Anyone who is having trouble should definately use this site for answers before they even try anything!!! Thanks Again!!!!!

tater said:
Hi Guys! Well my feed motor came this morning and I put it in. The capacitor is part of the wiring to the motor…..It is in the wiring with the plug that comes directly from the motor, so in order to replace the capacitor, I had to put the new motor in. It is working fine now, but still don’t know if it was just the capacitor, or the motor. You guys are great! I have been a visitor on this forum, but until now, haven’t had to use it myself. Anyone who is having trouble should definately use this site for answers before they even try anything!!! Thanks Again!!!!!

Glad it is working, however you didn't actually need to replace the motor, a little bit of selective work with a diagonal cutter and it should be possible to just replace the cap. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Does anybody have a schematic of this stove they could somehow share? Email, post, whatever.

I am looking into motors for a related project.

THX,
Bill

Maybe I could have, but didn't want to ruin something. I was just quite proud of myself that I replaced the motor myself and the stove is working fine now. (Not too many women that would tackle that)!

tater said:
Maybe I could have, but didn't want to ruin something. I was just quite proud of myself that I replaced the motor myself and the stove is working fine now. (Not too many women that would tackle that)!

You should be proud, good job.

tater said:

I know a number of women who can do a lot of mechanical things. My two grandmothers, my mother in law, and my wife for four. It is all in what one wants to do.

Thanks. I did keep the old motor, and I think I'm going to try and fix the wires so the harness with the capacitor will fit to it so I can try it. Thanks again everyone for all your help!

tater,

Glad you got it fixed. It doesn't hurt to have a spare part around. Try to get the capacitor replaced on your old motor/capacitor assembly and you will be good to go IF it ever lets you down again. Did you have fun figuring out how to replace it?

Bkins

The worst part was trying to align the little hex screws so I could get the wrench to it. After I got those out, it went quite well. Now to the old motor assembly.......I hope I don't wreck it.......wish me luck!

tater

Status
Not open for further replies.