Auger Motor Won't Turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggerjason54

Jan 14, 2013
Hi I have a HR Saranec and the auger shaft won't turn. I found the cotter pin that connects the shaft to the gearbox was sheared - probably due to a jam. I've been trying unsuccessfully to reinstall the cotter pin but it seems the shaft is in the wrong position now to line up to the gearbox shaft. I have 2 questions

1) Any hints/tips for lining these two shafts up?
2) Should I be able to move the auger by hand from within the pellet box? I can not and I'm wondering if I still have a jam although I feel I've cleaned it pretty thoroughly.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi I have a HR Saranec and the auger shaft won't turn. I found the cotter pin that connects the shaft to the gearbox was sheared - probably due to a jam. I've been trying unsuccessfully to reinstall the cotter pin but it seems the shaft is in the wrong position now to line up to the gearbox shaft. I have 2 questions

1) Any hints/tips for lining these two shafts up?
2) Should I be able to move the auger by hand from within the pellet box? I can not and I'm wondering if I still have a jam although I feel I've cleaned it pretty thoroughly.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Generally speaking, once the drive motor has been disconnected from the auger, the auger should turn freely. If you sheared the pin & there are no other mechanical fasteners in the system, you should be able to turn the auger. If you can't, you've got something wedged in there. It may be a piece of that cotter pin. If you can get a pipe wrench on the auger shaft, try to turn it in reverse of the direction it turns when feeding. That should free it up...Once it's free, remove it & then deburr or polish any galling that has been done to the flight due to that jam.

You can also remove the auger flight cover to look for and clean out any jams.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Is there a document that explains how to get more access to the auger? I removed what I would call the "flight cover" from within the pellet box and it really didn't see to buy my anything. There is another cover underneath this one so I still can't see any more of the auger. At this point I wouldn't be able to get a pipe wrench on the auger in the pellet box.

You shouldn't need to get a pipe wrench on the auger.

You need to pull the auger motor off of the auger first (likely the back stove panel has to come off).

I haven't had any need to remove my auger motor but they are normally held on by a collar with set screws or a cotter pin that goes through the auger and the auger motor shaft.

You should be able to pry the motor off and then align it and push it back on after removing any part of the cotter pin that might still be in the shaft etc ..

Here are 2 pictures. The first is the auger inside the pellet box. Not much to grab

The second is of the motor inside the stove itself. These are the only 2 areas where I know of that I could grab the shaft. I must be missing something auger in box.jpegmotor.jpg

That inside cover is the auger flight cover there should be either 2 or 4 Phillips head screws holding it against the hopper walls.

You'll have to loosen up that RTV (redish orange stuff) to pry the cover up after removing the screws that should expose the entire auger.

You can remove the motor by pulling straight back in-line with the auger.

ETA: When you put the auger flight cover back on you'll need some RTV sealant to replace what is there.

I removed that auger flight cover and there is another cover welded underneath. I spoke with Hudson River support and I guess my unit has been retrofitted with an "improved auger" and they add in a permanent cover as part of this retrofit. Ironically the goal of the retrofit is to prevent jams.... :confused:

I think my best bet to clear my jam is to remove the motor and bang on the auger shaft. I'm having trouble removing the motor however. I don't see any sort of set screw. The cotter pin is of course broke already. Any other advice or tips?

LOL, what a crock on the part of Hudson River.

Start a conversation with Don2222 about the auger retrofit he did to one of the Saranacs.

Get something that will go between the auger motor and the portion of the auger that the cotter pin goes through and slowly pry the auger motor off by alternate side prying or tapping the auger moter should go strait backwards in line with the auger.

I've had exactly one auger jam and that was because a piece of a pellet bag got snagged by the auger and one fines dam the pellets were stopped from moving forward but the auger turned just fine.

Sometimes you can't win for losing ;hm .

Great photos Jason, what camera did you use and also what program did you use to label the photos? Hope you find your jamming problem, got the same issue with my Breckwell, have another auger motor coming hope that cures it.

Thx Cliff

Smokey - Thanks. That was my plan but it didn't seem to be moving much and I didn't want to break anything. I'll keep at it

Cliff - Thanks. Just a pretty standard point and shoot Nikon Coolpix. I just edited them in MS Paint.

I'm hoping I don't have a habitual jamming problem - this is the first time. It just happens to be a doozy of a jam

Success! I was able to remove the motor by just working it back and forth as you suggested. I did notice (after removing the motor) that there are really only 2 bolts I needed to remove to remove the auger. I think I may have been able to leave the motor attached. Oh well. Once I removed the auger I cleared it all out and after I got the cotter pin back in the auger now moves under stove control!

Thanks again for your help Smokey.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Now on my unit I just undo 4 screws and lift the flight cover and everything is exposed and I can poke, pull, or vacuum things out from the bottom of the hopper to the drop chute, easy peasy as DexterDay says.

Status
Not open for further replies.