Auger not staying on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvpeap

Dec 15, 2014
NJ
Hi all, frequent lurker, first time poster. I'm a relative pellet newbie, though I have researched a good amount and feel like I am decently conversant. We're having an issue with our Breckwell P2000FS and I couldn't find an answer elsewhere.

When we turn the stove on, it lights fine and all the fans, etc. sound fine. But after the combustion cycle ends, the auger turns off but never switches back on, leaving the fire to die. But if I turn the stove off and on again after a few minutes, it starts right back up, and the auger stays on and burns just fine until we turn it off the next day for daily maintenance.

I can't seem to figure out why the auger won't stay on the first time, but works just fine after I manually restart it? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help you can give.

Sounds like your POF disc isn't seeing the heat in time so the stove just shuts down.

You may have a bad switch or crud between the switch and where it mounts on the stove or behind where it mounts on the stove.

Given your description I vote for crud. A little cleaning may be all that is needed.

Thanks both of you. That's a helpful link: the manual I have is outdated and doesn't include as much information as any of those on the link you provided. I'll check it out after work today!

Thanks both of you. That's a helpful link: the manual I have is outdated and doesn't include as much information as any of those on the link you provided. I'll check it out after work today!

If you have to remove the combustion blower to get in behind where the switch mounts make sure you have another combustion blower gasket on hand before removing that blower, some of those gaskets come apart very easily and you do need to get that area sealed.

Reactions: jvpeap
Tried it out, and it wasn't too cruddy (and didn't have to remove combustion blower). Cleaned it out, and same thing happened when I started it up last night. Fire starts, auger stops after combustion cycle, fire dies. Turn it off, wait 30 seconds, turn it on. Starts back up, and auger works as normal from there.

You can also try cleaning around the igniter so the hot air flowing around it can get the fire going sooner and things up to temperature faster.

Remember it only takes a little ash if all other things are not just right to stop that switch from being able to function.

Sounds like you have and airstream mount POF in which cleaning any ash from around the hole might also help things out as it can block the hot stuff from getting to the switch

Then I would try a cold start with that switch jumpered if things still persist. The switch may be intermittent. They do fail eventually.

You can test that switch with a lighter and an ohm meter or a continuity meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.