Auger question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire

Feb 7, 2007
NYC
I'm starting to hear a slight clicking sound when the auger engages on my Harman advance. Stove is running fine, plenty of heat. Any ideas?

sounds like a low ticking sound while auger is moving. It is working. This is the first season with this stove, I've been using it since Oct, just started hearing ticking yesterday.

your burn pot is clean - no carbon build up?
If you remove the back guards is the chain loose or the sprockets not aligned properly?
The noise could be the chain rubbing on the sprockets(ie: misaligned) and making a ticking noise while rotatiing.
Check the output shaft on the gearmotor does it move in and out?

Well I think so ...
But keep fingers out of the chain and don't touch the coil on the motor.
Take the rear shroud off on the side with the door latch and just watch the chain and the motor and the motor mount....
Observation is the key to troubleshooting......

When you hear the click what do you see?
The chain could just be loose.
or misaligned, the gearboxes sometimes will have the bushing on the output shaft walk out of the gearbox allowing the shaft and sprocket to move out of line with the auger sprocket.
There's many things it could be but If you can describe what you see and hear it's easier for us to decipher..

Just from what you have said so far I would say it is loose or misaligned if it is a fairly consistant clicking...
if it is not consistant and you watch the chain and motor do you see the chain get tight and put excess pressure on the motor causing the mount to flex?

Chains stretch too and can cause a clicking.....
Again it's all up to you and your observations....

Status
Not open for further replies.