Auger runs intermittently

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

howardranch

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2008
NW Ohio
Hi
We own a Lopi Yankee pellet stove that we bought in 2002. It has always run great. However, this year we are noticing that the auger doesn't always turn with the "Auger On" light is illuminated. If we have the pellet stove on "low", it will eventually fault because not enough pellets are dropping to keep the fire going. When the stove is on "med" or "high", the auger appears turns every time the "Auger On" light is on. Only when the stove is on "low" does the auger work intermittently. We run our stove mostly on "low" during the winter. Any advice or tips is appreciated.
Thanks!
Jessica

Yes the auger motor only feeds for a 2-3 seconds
the Feed rate switch controls the feed times BETWEEN FEEDS.
If you have LONG pellets this will effect the feed on low because Less pellets feed at a time when they are long.
there is a thread here with this same topic.

Your stove has a control board but has the same principle. You might have to run the stove on a higher feed rate if you have longer pellets

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24431/

Thanks for the response, but I don't think that's the problem. It's not that not enough pellets are dropping, but that the auger isn't turning. When working properly, you can hear the auger turning when the "Auger On" light. Our problem is that the auger is not turning for some reason everytime that the "Auger On" light is on. thanks. Jessica

Thanks for the response, but I don't think that's the problem. It's not that not enough pellets are dropping, but that the auger isn't turning. When working properly, you can hear the auger turning when the "Auger On" light. Our problem is that the auger is not turning for some reason everytime that the "Auger On" light is on. thanks. Jessica

Hi Jessica

This may very be your problem!

I am having the same problem on my Lopi Pioneer Bay with the knob controls! So I hooked up a VOM and found that there is no voltage sent to the auger motor from the control board when the feed knob is set to low. On Med and Hi it does send 118.5 VAC to the auger motor. This means the control board is bad! See pics

Travis makes an updated control board that should fit and work better for approx $195 available from your local dealer on on the web.
See my thread
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/lopi-pioneer-bay-auger-will-not-budge-when-feed-knob-set-below-the-m-in-medium.89462/

Attachments

• Auger runs intermittently
    AugerVoltDuringRunCycleFeedMed.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Auger runs intermittently
    AugerVoltDuringRunCycleFeedLow.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 187
Hi Jessica

This may very be your problem!

I am having the same problem on my Lopi Pioneer Bay with the knob controls! So I hooked up a VOM and found that there is no voltage sent to the auger motor from the control board when the feed knob is set to low. On Med and Hi it does send 118.5 VAC to the auger motor. This means the control board is bad! See pics

Travis makes an updated control board that should fit and work better for approx $195 available from your local dealer on on the web.
See my thread
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/lopi-pioneer-bay-auger-will-not-budge-when-feed-knob-set-below-the-m-in-medium.89462/[/quote]

Is it possible that the feed control (potentiometer?) needs replacing? I changed out the two potentiometers in my Harman .

Is it possible that the feed control (potentiometer?) needs replacing? I changed out the two potentiometers in my Harman .

Very possible.
However since this stove is 15 years old and the board is not supported, I would have to find some 3rd party Pot!

Travis makes an upgraded digital control panel that is downwardly compatible for this older stove for $195 with the old wiring harness. It comes with a jumper plug for the 2nd molex connector on the new board. (Used only for diagnostics on the newer stoves)

Don and MCPO, you guys DO realize this post is almost 4 years old, right? :confused:

Don and MCPO, you guys DO realize this post is almost 4 years old, right? :confused:

Oh, yes. I was interested in this post because that is the SAME problem I am having now! To bad there was no solution here, it would have helped. So I offered a solution and if the OP or someone else sees it, they will have a solution. :)

Don,

Is the stove providing enough vacuum to close the vacuum switch when running on low?

In other words where are you measuring the 118 volts at before or after the vacuum switch?

Don,

Is the stove providing enough vacuum to close the vacuum switch when running on low?

In other words where are you measuring the 118 volts at before or after the vacuum switch?

Thanks Smokey!
Very Good point, the voltage is being measured at the end of the auger wire where the quick connect clips are.
I should try bypassing the vacuum switch to be sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.