Auger Shaft Diameter (Enviro)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Warmer Winters

Oct 16, 2019
MA
Hello. New member here (having followed along for years).

I'm in the process of a stove rebuild, including the auger/bushings. I took the auger and bottom bushing out and there was significant clearance between the two. I wasn't surprised; it had been in service for years. But I then measured the hole of the bushing and it was very close to 0.625". But the shaft is 0.617"! And that's both ends with no sign of wear; no ridges or shelves. That means the auger has about 0.008" of total clearance. That's a lot, IMHO.

Does anyone have a new auger available and the means to measure it accurately? I'd love to know if this is normal...

Are you taking into account that the area where the bushing is gets hot
and that brass and steel expand at different rates?
Not an expert just an observation

Hi johneh,

I don't think it's an expansion thing. For a 0.007", we'd need the auger to reach 1000F and that's assuming the bushing remained cool. But you can reach to the bottom of the auger and touch it quite comfortably.

I subsequently reached into the back of my Mini and pushed the Auger motor back and forth and felt some play in there, too. No data; just a subjective thing. Seems about the same. Likely the design intent.

Outcome: I reassembled and it runs just fine. If there are performance issues, I'll circle back.

-C