Auger won't turn off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just purchased a Avalon Astoria pellet stove used and personally installed. The thing fired up perfect and went to roaring, then I noticed the pellets were piling up and started spilling over. Tuning the unit off didn't stop the auger so I wounded up emptying the pellets out of the hopper and letting it burn itself out.
The auger light on the control panel indicates it is on for about 3 seconds and off for about 14 seconds on low, the light indications all match the owners manual description, but the auger never turns off.
I started looking into the sensors and all the snap disks seem to work fine, the fans operate properly as it warms up. Both fuses have been wrapped in tinfoil so the previous owner has had some issues (that would explain the good deal). So I replaced the vacuum/flow control switch when I couldn't get anything else to work and that didn't change anything. If I unhook the air hose the auger will stop, or if I unhook any of the wiring in the snap disk or flow control circuit it will stop. It seems like the control panel should be fine where the auger light is working properly. Wouldn't the wire for the auger be connected to the same circuit as the light?
If anyone has any ideas or actually knows what would be causing this Thank You in Advance!

Welcome to the forum :) Unplug and start by removing the tinfoil if you haven't done so already!
You might want to figure out why they were foil wrapped ... checking wiring and connections. I found the troubleshooting guide from Travis industries http://www.travisindustries.com/download/lucy/training/pellet_ts_guide.pdf

If the blower is coming on, the system snap disc seems to be functioning.

Sounds like a board problem ... there are board repair services that might be able to help. However, I would be more inclined to get a new board then see if you can get the old one repaired for a back-up. An old thread with the same problem...
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-free-standing-wont-shut-down-my-fault.60184/

Status
Not open for further replies.