Cab 50 not working and need some input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oregonk5

Oct 24, 2013
Oregon, Eugene
I have a Heatilator CAB 50 that is our backup heat source when the power goes down so it doesn't see much use. Today I tried to fire it up since we have some bad weather on the horizon.

The stove did nothing but hum even though the call light is on. I found the blower fan motor stuck and when I freed it up the stove started it's start-up cycle, however no pellets fed. I got a whiff of burn electrical. Hitting reset and power cycling doesn't help....the blower kicks on and it starts the cycle but no pellets drop.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. Pulled the board and inspected. Main fuse and two board fuses are good. No sign of burning on the board or contacts.
2. Pulled the auger motor and bench tested it just to be safe. It works. After a bunch of pellets fell down in the burn chamber the stove lit but burnt out when the pellets were all gone.
3. Confirmed no power to auger motor.
4. Pulled snap disk and bench tested with lighter, works properly.
5. Pulled vacuum switch and confirmed hose is clear and has continuity. Confirmed microswitch has continuity when vacuum applied
6. Check door gasket and tightened door.
7. Inspected the thermocouple and made sure it was seated properly.
8. Hopper lid switch bypassed.

There's no way I can get to town for parts with an ice storm hitting right now. Leaning towards a bad control board but can you think of anything I've missed checking or trying?

TLDR fans run but no pellets drop, red call light is on, blue light on control flashes. No power to auger motor.

Have you tried hampering across vacuum switch yet?

Check that the port and hose to vacuum switch is clear of obstructions.

Also check to make sure exhaust pathway is not clogged with a nest or other obstruction since you don't use stove very often.

Most likely problems
Out of fuel.
#2 snap disc may be defective or tripped.
The vacuum switch not closing, and no vacuum
.Hopper lid open. Defective hopper switch.Missing or out-of-place hopper switch magnet

Snap disc #2 Push the red button down if it clicks try restarting the stove
Vac Switch pull the 2 wires and jump them Try restarting the stove
Hopper switch Jump the 2 wires and try relighting the stove

If the stove still will not feed pellets and the auger motor is good then most likely the board
is the culprit.

Have you tried hampering across vacuum switch yet?

Check that the port and hose to vacuum switch is clear of obstructions.

Also check to make sure exhaust pathway is not clogged with a nest or other obstruction since you don't use stove very often.
I have jumpered across the vacuum switch and also applied vacuum to the switch, did not fix the issue. Exhaust is a straight shot out and doesn't appear obstructed and I can feel good air coming out of the exhaust outside when the stove is running.

The #2 heat switch and the hopper switch also control the auger

Most likely problems
Out of fuel.
#2 snap disc may be defective or tripped.
The vacuum switch not closing, and no vacuum
.Hopper lid open. Defective hopper switch.Missing or out-of-place hopper switch magnet

Snap disc #2 Push the red button down if it clicks try restarting the stove
Vac Switch pull the 2 wires and jump them Try restarting the stove
Hopper switch Jump the 2 wires and try relighting the stove

If the stove still will not feed pellets and the auger motor is good then most likely the board
is the culprit.
Thanks, please read OP.
The #2 heat switch and the hopper switch also control the auger
Hopper switch has been bypassed and #2 heat switch has continuity.

If all the switches work as they should the only thing left is the control box
Power flow
From control box connector 120 volt -- Red wire to Vaccum switch
Red wire from vacuum switch to hopper switch
Orange wire from hopper switch to#2 snap disc
Black wire from #2 snap switch to Auger motor
Auger motor White wire back to control box(ground)
Unless the fuse is blown then nothing will work