Automatic blower switch quick fix in 5 mins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny

Oct 9, 2014
Farmington, CT
I am enjoying my new PE Vista insert and I got a lot of help and information from here.

One problem I had is that the automatic blower didn't want to kick in. I called the dealer and what he said was "it takes time. Use fully seasoned wood" (I was using Bio Brick cause my woods are about 6 mo seasoned)

I bought a stove top thermometer and put it on the corner of the stove front. I saw that the automatic blower starts at 700 F and stops at 400 F. Well... to me, it seemed like an emergency cooling fan rather than an air distribution fan.

I read many thread and learned this happens when there is an air gap between the snap switch and the stove. I also realized that the automatic blower on this model is supposed to kick in at 300 F

I dissembled the blower and check the gap using my straight ruler. There was a 1/4 inch gap between the snap switch and the front. LOL. It's somewhat too big to be called as a "gap". I expected to see less than 1/8 inch.

I unscrewed the L bracket holding the snap switch and bent it using my shop vice and a hammer, so the snap switch gets small pressure against the stove front. (It looks like a beveled L shape now)

I assembled the unit and found out that the blower starts at 300 F.

I'm not sure that this is an assembly quality issue or PE intentionally engineered it this way. I just hope they don't void my warranty (if there's a such thing at PE)

Anyway, if your automatic blower doesn't start 'automatically', it's worthwhile to check the air gap. If there's one, just bend the bracket.

Good tip. Sounds like sloppy installation. Some stoves use a spring steel holder for the snap switch. Bending spring to give it a bit more of an arch will do the same thing. Easy fix once you see the problem.

So is a 'snap switch' the same thing as a thermostat? I just replaced the thermostat on the Buck, it's got the spring-steel clip that bg mentioned. It's a 110-degree thermostat, but it takes a while to kick in since it is low on the side of the firebox wall, below the floor of the box in the space that contains the blower, ash pan etc.

Yes. A snap or thermal switch is often used as a thermostat to control the blower on wood stoves and inserts. They have different temperature ratings for on/off and different differentials.
Automatic blower switch quick fix in 5 mins

@Woody Stover, My thermostat for the switch is in the blower unit and it is located at the lower part of the stove, too. The thermostat I use for the temp reading is on the upper part of the stove. As BeGreen said, there are many different ratings.

The thermostat I use for the temp reading is on the upper part of the stove. As BeGreen said, there are many different ratings.

That would be a thermometer I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.