1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

automatic hopper feeding

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by iceguy4, Jan 31, 2013.

1. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pelleting In NJ

Pelleting In NJ Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Put a photocell on one side of the stoves hopper, and an illumination light on the opposite side. Have the photo cell trigger a "one-shot" timing module. The timer is set to how long it takes to re-fill the hopper, to the top, that the added auger requires. The timer output applies power to the added auger motor. The biggest problem with this set-up is the sensitivity of the photocell to pellet dust on its lens. If it gets too dusty, the new auger will not run when its supposed to, and the stove will run out of pellets. That's at least a fail-safe scenario, better than the stove hopper being overfed pellets.

Another idea is to replace the photocell with a spring-loaded "sail" or paddle switch, so when the stove hopper level drops above the sail switch, the spring pulls the sail back up, closing a switch, which triggers the timer module. When the stove hopper is filling with pellets, the sail switch will be pushed back down.

I was thinking of doing this, but to activate an audible alarm, to warn when the hopper needs to be refilled, before the stove goes-out. I wonder why no stove manufacturer has not put this type of feature into their stoves?????
  3. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    can you run your pellet boilers with the lid to the hopper open? I was thinking the photocell option too.
  4. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY

[QUOTEcan you run your pellet boilers with the lid to the hopper open][/QUOTE]

not on my boiler... does anyone know how the harman system(1500lb hopper) work
  5. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY

So then how are you planning on attaching the auger to the stove
  6. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    It will go through the side...see picture

Attached Files:

7. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    I would recommend a capacitive proximity switch (not resistive: this does not work with wood pellets) and a timer relay that you can dial in the time of filling the pellets.
  8. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    Thats a great Idea. You can also add another motor to fill the fill hopper and so on and so on and so on lol. Can you get bulk deliveries on pellets or do you need to purchase by the bag.
  9. Centurion

Centurion Member

Loc:
    Nr Albany, NY
    I wonder how Harman's accessory hopper/auger system maintains negative pressure. Seems like alot of connections involved that would be hard to seal and maintain that seal over many years of use. I'm sure they do....just curious. Maybe someone that has this system can pipe in with some info.
  10. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY

I have broken down and ordered the complete system. It will arrive around 2/27. I'll keep you apprized...
    smoke show likes this.
  11. Centurion

Centurion Member

Loc:
    Nr Albany, NY
    Excellent Ice, looking forward to your comments. Are you ordering the Harman bin as well?
    iceguy4 likes this.
  12. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY

yes...the whole enchilada...