Autumn and wood-to buy or not to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Let me first say nothing but softwood in this part of the world, and my woodsheds are full, and I still have 3 cords outside stacked in rows(since march).. But now the wannabes are coming out of the woodwork, and csd is being sold for aewsome prices. Just wondering, if I were to buy two more cords of fir? they would have to be stacked somewhere in rows throughout the winter. If I were to cover the tops, you think the stuff would still season somewhat? Just looking for some thoughts on this, not a big deal as I have a 2 year supply already. but just like the rest of you crazie`s, a man can never have enough firewood :cheese:

I guess what I am really asking-is does it matter what time of year you buy if the price is right and it doesen`t have to burned for at least 24 months?

What, you're not stocked up for 2012 yet? Get on it man! :cheese:

Actually, I'm scrounging next year's wood now from tree cutters. I try to only pay for wood if I have to in the spring when the prices are best.

I have more than enough wood for this upcoming season under roof, ready to burn. Before the snow flies, I'll have probably 8 or 9 more cords, maybe a bit more than half of it split, the rest in rounds, in a heap on gravel on the south side of my shop/garage building. I'm not going to do a darned thing with it...no tarps, no nothing. It'll get rained on, it'll get snowed on...doesn't matter. It's already seasoned, it ain't gonna "unseason". Come spring & summer it'll still be there, nice and dry and I'll process & stack it for future years. Of course, if I thought I'd need to access any of it during this burning season, I'd treat it differently. Rick

EDIT: And I'm buying 3 more cords of seasoned pine C/S/D next week for $133/cord, and have 4 cords of rounds due me before the end of Sept.

BeGreen said:
What, you're not stocked up for 2012 yet? Get on it man! :cheese:

Actually, I'm scrounging next year's wood now from tree cutters. I try to only pay for wood if I have to in the spring when the prices are best.

As silly as it might seem BG- in these parts csd is always cheaper last week of Feb. and last week of Aug. And it is mostly this forum`s fault that I am now looking into keeping maybe as much as a 5 year reserve. Now you see what you have gone and done to me, making me paranoid about never having enough firewood ;-P It`s all your fault--or so I try and tell my better half. ;-)

Get it while it's cheap! Prices will go up especially after this Hurricane plows into the oil platforms in the gulf. It will effect everything.

Like you I'm 2 years ahead and working on 3. It's tempting to go buy 2 more cords of Oak for $150 ea, but I have my eye on some dead Oaks in a neighbors yard he said I could have.

Mea culpa, tell her to come down and yell at me. I agree, it's hard to have enough wood except if it's alder. Unless alder is kept bone dry, it's powder in 2-3 years.

Sonny I always thought fall was was a sellers market...with your stash I hold off for spring if I wanted to buy wood at a good price.

Todd said:
Get it while it's cheap! Prices will go up especially after this Hurricane plows into the oil platforms in the gulf. It will effect everything.

Like you I'm 2 years ahead and working on 3. It's tempting to go buy 2 more cords of Oak for $150 ea, but I have my eye on some dead Oaks in a neighbors yard he said I could have.

If I could get oak for $150/cord I'd have a solid backyard in an attempt to match Eric Johnson's stacks (of course I'm limited to ~9000 cubic feet of storage in the back yard). Oak goes for $350+ here in the offseason.

Oak goes for $Infinity+ here. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.