Avalon 901 vs Avalon Rainier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mt Ski Bum

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2011
Dillon, Mt
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a used Avalon 901, but was curious how it compares to the Rainier (which I assume was the successor to the 901), as I've tried looking all over the internet, and can't for the life of me find any information on its specs- firebox size, btu output, etc... I even downloaded the manual, but unlike later Avalon/Lopi manuals, it doesn't tell you any of that information!

TIA for any help!

Based on the firebrick layout the 901 looks smaller than the Rainier. It's more like the Avalon Pendleton but with an odd, bucket-like firebox when viewed from the side. The Rainier and Pendelton have flat floor fireboxes.

Reactions: Mt Ski Bum
Based on the firebrick layout the 901 looks smaller than the Rainier. It's more like the Avalon Pendleton but with an odd, bucket-like firebox when viewed from the side. The Rainier and Pendelton have flat floor fireboxes.
The firebrick layout does look interesting with the bricks slanted out... looking at the 700/901/1000c manual closer, the number of firebricks does look similar to the Pendleton, but I would assume the slanting adds a bit more space... maybe closer to the firebox size of a Lopi Answer? The 700 has the same number of bricks, but not slanted- it looks pretty close to the Pendleton (I can't imagine it being smaller!)

Screenshot_20221022-234606_Office Mobile.jpg