Avalon Fan Upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_376

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2012
central Ct
I have an old Avalon 1196 insert which works fine. The fan does a good job of pushing out heat but it is manually low high off. There isn't a snap disk. I want to know if the previous owner removed parts or if that is how this stove/blower was originally designed. Can I retro fit a snap disk and a variable speed rheostat, how about a toggle switch to have it manual or auto on/off? Has anyone done this and could you tell me what parts I need and where I can purchase them.

I have been looking for snap disks online and I have found several which may work but I am unsure of a temp range to get. I think 100-130 F would work but I would like an opinion from someone else.

Do you have an IR thermometer? If yes, measure the location where you are thinking of attaching the snap disk as the stove is warming up. You don't want the fan to come on too early and start cooling down the stove until it is getting up to normal temps. The location is important. Lower on the stove will take longer to get warm. The 100-130F disk couldwork ok here and I like to keep wiring in the cooler location. The same range snap disk might not be appropriate higher up on the stove back.

When you install the Snap Disc, make sure it has good contact to the stove surface....at first mine didn't...kept going on, then off.

Status
Not open for further replies.